Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/21 01:18:18 UTC

I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Hey,

Mikeal on IRC just pointed out that Bespin isn't nearly as hard to
load as I had assumed [1]. Surely there's a JavaScript coder in the
user base that feels compelled to try their hand at integrating the
two for an awesomeness multiplier of at least 12. Also, I'm sure I
(and hundreds of others) would buy that person a beer at the next pub
meetup. Just saying, if you want groupies, this is a
get-groupies-quick scheme that'll treat you right.

[1] http://mozilla.hskupin.info/bespin/editor.html

Thanks,
Paul Davis

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
James,

Cool beans. Show us what you can do. I'm hoping we can get a couple
good ideas and mash them all up into one huge ball of radness.

Paul

Posted by James Carr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
2009/5/21 Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>:

> On 21 May 2009, at 05:07, Chris Anderson wrote:

>> +1 if it speaks CouchApp.
>
> I'll throw in a 2x multiplier if it is a CouchApp.

I was thinking about a way to create couchapp online (managing
shows/lists/template/uploading attachments & ...) . Like the bespin
manager anyway but rather than using fs, it would use and allow
creation of design docs/couchapp on couchdb.

I don't know if it could be a couchapp by itself. Using a couchapp to
create design docs in multiple db seems weird. Now that util_handler
is trans parent to the location, it could be an addon to couchdb I
think

Anyway definitely an exiting project. Need to finish new friendpaste,
but I'm interrested. Btw dev could be hosted on
http://github.com/couchapp ... :)

- benoît

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Per Ejeklint <ej...@mac.com>.
Oooh, I'm trembling of excitement! Excellent!

Posted by Juhani Ränkimies <ju...@juranki.com>.
In March, I played a little with Bespin & CouchDB.

http://sndbx.juranki.net/demo1.swf.html

Bespin has probably changed a lot since, but I can dig up the modifications
I made, if you like.

-juhani

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Ben Browning <be...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com> wrote:
> Another idea for the wishlist: add support for http://www.jslint.com/ (which
> is written in pure JS) as a way to encourage good coding practices.

Bespin includes 'fulljslint.js' on the editor page, so I assume
they're using it for something already. I have no affiliation with the
upstream Bespin project right now but I've got a few other patches I
need to submit to them so I'll take a look at jslint functionality
once I finish all the existing stuff.

Ben

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.

--
Jason Davies

www.jasondavies.com

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Joygasm!

Deifinitely looking forward to seeing this in action later today.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@prima.de>.
Very cool!

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Sweet!  Bespin is a CouchApp that supports building of CouchApps, and
one can modify Bespin itself using this tool. Very nice, I think Alan
Kay and the Squeak crowd would be duly impressed.

I'll throw in a case of your choice if you send me your paypal id.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Ben Browning <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not working on this to be a futon replacement or any other grand
> goal - it just looked like a fun thing to do. There are lots of
> unsolved problems and I'd love some discussion around potential
> solutions:
>
> Authentication - right now I punt and just log you in as a fake user.
> I saw some discussion on getting cookie-based auth in CouchApp and
> we'd probably need something similar to have a usable auth system.
>
> Filesystem implementations - I really have two ideas here. The first
> is to make every CouchApp on a given database(can I do cross-database?
> probably...) a Project in the Bespin world.

there is some code for finding all design documents in the
jquery.couch.js that ships with CouchDB trunk. It should be easy to
port to dojo.

> Then, all the app's
> attachments would appear as editable files in the dashboard. The
> second part is to have regular CouchDB docs appear as files enabling
> you to edit docs, views, etc with nice javascript syntax highlighting.
> My next main focus is getting at least one of these two options fully
> functional for CRUD stuff.
>
> Dojo vs jQuery - Bespin uses Dojo for all its javascript. There are a
> few nice CouchDB helper functions written in jQuery. Should I just
> include both or make a special port of those helpers to Dojo?

I'd start by looking at Dojo's native Couch support but if that turns
out to be too heavyweight you could port this pretty quickly. But I'm
+1 on getting more than just jQuery into our toolkit.

This is really cool!

On the security of having a CouchApp edit CouchApps: I don't see
anything wrong with it. As the editing user will have to provide
db-admin credentials to save anyway. Bespin may try to do a local
save-cache on the Bespin app's db, so you'd have to be careful about
sharing an editor-db with someone else. Otherwise, I don't see a
problem.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Ben Browning <be...@gmail.com>.
I'm not working on this to be a futon replacement or any other grand
goal - it just looked like a fun thing to do. There are lots of
unsolved problems and I'd love some discussion around potential
solutions:

Authentication - right now I punt and just log you in as a fake user.
I saw some discussion on getting cookie-based auth in CouchApp and
we'd probably need something similar to have a usable auth system.

Filesystem implementations - I really have two ideas here. The first
is to make every CouchApp on a given database(can I do cross-database?
probably...) a Project in the Bespin world. Then, all the app's

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/22 Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>:
>

>> Why not just
>> providing as a futon replacement?
>
> not a futon replacement obviously. more like a plugin.

Benoit,

Once its a couchapp we can look at integrating it into the
distribution and what not. It would be awesome to have something as a
default install, but there are all those questions about licensing and
what not. As always, these questions are always easier once we have
code to look at.

And depending on what the lawyer type people say, this could be the
motivation to get that fancy dancy public app hosting node so people
can see what its like to install an app via replication.

HTH,

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
2009/5/22 Ben Browning <be...@gmail.com>:
> http://thinkingconcurrently.com/2009/05/21/running-bespin-on-the-couch-pt1.html
>
> Installed as a CouchApp (several hundred MB, thousands of files...)
> and most UI pieces work. None of the filesystem is implemented yet but
> I've got a clear idea of what needs to be done there and expect to get
> a good bit of that done over the weekend. By sometime next week you
> should be able to create and edit fully functional CouchApps within
> Bespin, including editing Bespin itself.
>
> I'll post another update when I've got more to show.
>
> Ben

So it will be a couchapp to create other couchapp ? Why not just
providing as a futon replacement? I'm not sure that creating a db and
a design_doc is the right way to do this. I mean It looks weird, also
not secure to have to create  a db & such rto create another db.

I mean it's really cool and a really good start but in my mind bespin
and couchapp admin could be another tool unde _utils or better
_couchapps. What do you think about it ?

- benoît

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21 May 2009, at 05:07, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> I'm adding 2 more internets to the pool, so we're up to I think 14 now.
>>
>> Bespin on Couch!
>>
>> +1 if it speaks CouchApp.
>
> I'll throw in a 2x multiplier if it is a CouchApp.

My head assplodes at the possibility of the bespin couchapp editor
editing itself.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Its not a project till someone starts working on it. Sadly, for
webdev, I can only offer one slightly used groupie (me), alcohol, and
a couple spare internets.

Posted by Nathan Stott <nr...@gmail.com>.
Very cool project.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.