Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> on 2010/02/15 00:45:42 UTC

[VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Hallo Folks,

I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 (which both have the same bug fix level, functionality and release announcement), build from revision 910082 of the corresponding branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, Feb 19th, 2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone
is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their parallel development / bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since major version 3.

Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document) and send it corrected back if you miss anything or want to improve my bad English :-)

You find the artifacts here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/

Maven repo:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/maven/

The changes are here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Contrib-Changes.html

http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Contrib-Changes.html

Uwe

=== Proposed Release Announcement ===

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the release of Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:

Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions, where 2.9.2 is the last release working with Java 1.4, still providing all deprecated APIs of the Lucene Java 2.x series. 3.0.1 has the same bug fix level, but requires Java 5 and is no longer compatible with code using deprecated APIs. The API was cleaned up to make use of Java 5's generics, varargs, enums, and autoboxing. New users of Lucene are advised to use version 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has a clean, type safe new API. Users upgrading from 2.9.x can now remove unnecessary casts and add generics to their code, too.

Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms in each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed. Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
As people.apache.org is down, here is an alternate location with the same artifacts:

http://alpha.thetaphi.de/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/

Happy testing!

-----

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me - I've put both releases through their paces - though
technically, there are a handful of files that look like they need
apache headers (css, html) that are reported by rat. I don't think this
is a new issue though, so I don't think its something we need to be that
picky about right now.

A ref to the apache header policy:

With few exceptions <#faq-exceptions>, all human-readable
Apache-developed files that are included within a distribution must
include the header text <#header-text>. Documentation, including web
site documentation distributed with the release, may include the header
text within some form of metadata (such as HTML comments) or as a header
or footer appearing in the visible documentation.

A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements
or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a
file does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of
the file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
i checked, the demo and demo webapp works for both versions.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
+1. the demo works.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Simon Willnauer <
simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:

> +1 from here
>
> I put the 3.0.1 into several apps and everything seems to run smoothly
> for the last couple of days. All tests pass
>
> simon
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > +0.  I only have time to read the release documents.  Uwe's apologies
> were
> > incorrect, the language is fine.
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> +1 on releasing.
> >>

> > --
> > Ted Dunning, CTO
> > DeepDyve

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 from here

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 from here

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1 on releasing.

On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> [...]
>
> Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms in each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed. Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
> Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1 on releasing.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 17, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Grant, inline:
>
>> Inline
>>
>> On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>>
>>> Hallo Folks,
>>>
>>> I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and
>> 3.0.1 (which both have the same bug fix level, functionality and
>> release announcement), build from revision 910082 of the corresponding
>> branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your
>> votes until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both
>> versions is Friday, Feb 19th, 2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are
>> binding, but everyone
>>> is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or
>> disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are
>> cast.
>>>
>>> We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of
>> their parallel development / bug fix level to emphasize that they are
>> equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since major version 3.
>>>
>>> Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document)
>> and send it corrected back if you miss anything or want to improve my
>> bad English :-)
>>>
>>> You find the artifacts here:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-
>> take1-rev910082/
>>>

>> Still working through this, but:
>>
>> Why are there SHA1 signatures for the 3.0.1 releases but not 2.9.2.  I
>> don't think SHA1 is required (in fact, isn't it cracked?) so it may be
>> fine to just remove it.
>
> Md5 is cracked, sha1 not (yet). We have the sha1 since 3.0 (its generated by 3.0's build.xml since upgrade to ANT 1.7 because of fixed ant task definitions). And also all maven artifacts require sha1, too, so its only 2.9's zip/tgz missing them. So I could simply generate them manually for 2.9.2. The current 3.0.0 release on apache.org already have sha1, so why remove them now?

Yes.  Both "weak": http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html.  But, I think we are fine b/c you have the 4K bit key.

No need to remove.

>>> === Proposed Release Announcement ===
>>>
>>> Hello Lucene users,
>>>
>>> On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to
>> announce the release of Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:
>>>
>>> Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions, where 2.9.2 is the
>> last release working with Java 1.4, still providing all deprecated APIs
>> of the Lucene Java 2.x series. 3.0.1 has the same bug fix level, but
>> requires Java 5 and is no longer compatible with code using deprecated
>> APIs. The API was cleaned up to make use of Java 5's generics, varargs,
>> enums, and autoboxing. New users of Lucene are advised to use version
>> 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has a clean, type safe new API.
>> Users upgrading from 2.9.x can now remove unnecessary casts and add
>> generics to their code, too.
>>>
>>> Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum
>> number of unique terms in each index segment. They also add fixes in
>> IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes in near real-time
>> indexing.
>>> Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed.
>>
>> How about:  "Several bugs in Contrib's Analyzers package were fixed"
>> Also, do these changes imply reindexing is needed?  If so, we should
>> say so.
>
> I have to go through this, but reindexing is not required, because the bugs were mostly missing clearAttributes() calls leading to StopFilter integer overflows (with Version.LUCENE_30) - and so crashes during indexing. Robert?
>
> As always we preserve index compatibility, so we would not change behavior without adding a new Version enum constant.
>
> I will change the wording, Robert already sent me some grammar changes and a better overview using bullted lists.

Cool.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
ahh you are right Uwe, even if you aren't using custom attributes, positions
could be wrong in the index, for example.

I have to go through this, but reindexing is not required, because the bugs
> were mostly missing clearAttributes() calls leading to StopFilter integer
> overflows (with Version.LUCENE_30) - and so crashes during indexing. Robert?
>
> As always we preserve index compatibility, so we would not change behavior
> without adding a new Version enum constant.
>
> I will change the wording, Robert already sent me some grammar changes and
> a better overview using bullted lists.
>
> Thanks for reviewing,
> Uwe

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Grant, inline:

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
i think users will have to read CHANGES to determine this: i.e. they could
be using a buggy filter and be unaffected, if they aren't using custom
attributes, certain shingle parameters, highlighting with multivalued
fields, etc, etc.

> How about:  "Several bugs in Contrib's Analyzers package were fixed"  Also,
> do these changes imply reindexing is needed?  If so, we should say so.
>
> -Grant

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 17, 2010, at 5:35 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Inline
>
> On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
>> Hallo Folks,
>>
>> I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 (which both have the same bug fix level, functionality and release announcement), build from revision 910082 of the corresponding branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, Feb 19th, 2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone
>> is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.
>>
>> We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their parallel development / bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since major version 3.
>>
>> Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document) and send it corrected back if you miss anything or want to improve my bad English :-)
>>
>> You find the artifacts here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/
>>

> Still working through this, but:
>
> Why are there SHA1 signatures for the 3.0.1 releases but not 2.9.2.  I don't think SHA1 is required (in fact, isn't it cracked?) so it may be fine to just remove it.

Not a show stopper, BTW.  Just curious about what is different.

Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Inline