Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2015/09/20 07:40:21 UTC

[Fwd: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!]

The Capstone project has until Sep 24 to submit your project and assign a
mentor.  I will be available for campus visits if requested.
<shathaway.a.o>

Subject: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!
From:    "D. Kevin McGrath" <dm...@eecs.oregonstate.edu>
Date:    Tue, September 8, 2015 2:04 pm
To:      shathawa@e-z.net

Colleagues --

A little over a week remains to submit your project for consideration! Do
please
consider submitting something if you haven't already done so. And again,
please
contact me if you have any questions! I'm currently out of town, so responses
may be a bit slow, but I hope to get back to everyone within the next 48
hours.

Thanks!

Kevin

Original call below.

Have you always wanted a particular software tool developed for your use, but
have never had the time to do it yourself? Well then, read on. Have I got
a deal
for you!

My name is Kevin McGrath. I am the instructor who runs the OSU Computer
Science
Senior Capstone class. The Capstone class is a 3-quarter (Fall, Winter,
Spring)
"career preparation" experience. The major piece of this is doing a
significant
3 member team project.

When the students come to the first class on September 24, I want to present
them with a list of exciting, creative, and real-experience software
engineering
project possibilities. This is where you come in. I am looking for you to use
your needs and experience to propose those project possibilities.

A web site has been setup to give you more information, and let you enter and
edit your project proposals:

		http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/capstone/submission/

You have until September 24 to get yours in. That is the date the students
will
see them, and will start the selection process. In that process, I ask the
students to "bid" on their top 5 choices. I ultimately make the final project
assignments, but I try to take their preferences into account. I find I get
better results that way.

There will likely be more projects proposed than students teams to do
them. *So,
really sell your project.* Definitely don't understate its cool-ness
factor! The
more excited you sound in the description, the more excited they are
likely to
be when doing it. Excitement is contagious!

After projects have been selected, we will follow a client-contractor
model in
which I "run" the software contract company and you are one of our valued
clients. The students "report" to me, but you, as client, work directly with
them to design the requirements, set the timeline, approve the progress. You
also get to help assign grades.

This year I'm asking you to explicitly distinguish the projects that are
research oriented vs. those that are more software engineering focused. If
you
would like to propose a research project for the students, please indicate
this
using the Additional Comments field.

Given the nature of a research oriented project, I find that better
results are
had if the students are initially aware of the type of project. If you are
unsure, that is not a problem. I'm happy to work with you on the details
of your
project -- just submit it, and then we can chat about any changes that
might be
necessary.

Any project can be proposed from anybody. I don't care where you are from,
just
that your project represents an excellent software engineering experience for
the students.

Do remember, however, that these are seniors. They have taken the core
classes
so far, but most have not taken some of the electives that would really
help in
some projects, such as graphics, AI, computer vision, etc. Keep that in mind
when proposing.

If you have questions or want to discuss project possibilities, feel free to
contact me at:

		 D. Kevin McGrath
		 Instructor, Computer Science
		 Oregon State University
		 2109 Kelley Engineering Center
		 541-737-1420
		 dmcgrath@eecs.oregonstate.edu

Thanks for your time -- I look forward to working with you!

If you'd like to see currently proposed projects as the students will see
them, see

         http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/capstone/capstone.cgi?projects=cs

						 -- Kevin McGrath

Fwd: [Fwd: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!]

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@gmail.com>.

This email encrypted by tiny buttons & fat thumbs, beta voice recognition, and autocorrect on my iPhone.

Begin forwarded message: