Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/01 17:54:40 UTC

Re: [Kerby] IP Clearance

> Le 28/08/15 04:57, Li, Jiajia a écrit :
>> Hi Stefan,
>> The IP clearance template[1] contains details of the IP Clearance process:
>>
>> 1. IP Clearance processing must be executed either by an Officer or a Member of the ASF. If you are not an Officer or a Member, please contact your project chair who will find an appropriate volunteer. Incubator karma is also required. Please request karma from the incubator pmc if you do not have it.
>> 2. (Optional) Commit an outline form, filling those parts which can be (at this stage).
>> 3. A software grant must be provided to the ASF. This grant can either be done by the ASF Corporate CLA (via Schedule B) or the traditional License Agreement. Acceptable methods of sending the grant to the ASF includes:
>>    snail-mail to the ASF office and/or ASF officer
>>    FAXing to the ASF office and/or an ASF officer
>>    Emailing the scanned document to secretary@apache.org and legal-archive@apache.org.
>> 4. Receipt of the software grant form must be acknowledged by an Officer of the ASF by recording in the correct file (grants.txt for a License Grant or cclas.txt for a Corporate CLA). In most normal circumstances, the officer should be the ASF Secretary, who must be provided a copy of the grant or CCLA in any case (if not originally sent or Emailed to him).
>> 5. Note: the grant form must be acknowledged before continuing. If the source is referenced by checksum in the grant, commit the canonical tarball for the donated code into the incubator drop area (/repos/asf/incubator/donations) together with a checksum and a detached signature. This will ensure that apache has a legal record of the grant.
>> 6. Complete and commit the completed form.(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/])
>> 7. Post a message to general@incubator prefixed [IP CLEARANCE] asking for clearance to be checked. Sign off is by lazy consensus so wait at least 72 hours for a -1.
>> 8. Post a [RESULT] to close the thread and let the project know that the code has been cleared for import.
>>

>> I think the 6, 7, 8 steps are should be done, but don't know whether 1-5 steps have been done or not? Please give some advises, thanks.
> 1) Either Stefan, Kiran or me can deal with this.
> 2) same
> 3) This has to be done formally by Intel representatives. It's just
> about signing a code donation (see )

Regarding thjis point (3), here is the response I have had :

" that's covered by
our committers iCLA, section 4, "You represent that you are legally
entitled to grant the above license. If your employer(s) has
rights...".

So if someone commits code without their employer's permission it's
clearly their responsibility.

The same applies to software grants IMO, on our side we accept them if
we can reasonably assume that whoever signed them is authorized to do
so, and if someone wasn't it's also clearly their responsibility."

Bottom line, there are two things that are required :
- first, Kai Zheng must fill a code donation form and send it to
secretary@a.o :

"A software grant must be provided to the ASF. This grant can either be
done by the ASF Corporate CLA (via Schedule B) or the traditional
License Agreement. Acceptable methods of sending the grant to the ASF
includes:

  * snail-mail to the ASF office and/or ASF officer
  * FAXing to the ASF office and/or an ASF officer
  * Emailing the scanned document to secretary@apache.org /and/
    legal-archive@apache.org."

(http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#form-filling)

- each one of the kerby committer must be sure they understand the iCLA
they submitted to The ASF : they do have to check with their management
they are allowed to give the code they are writing to The ASF. If I
understand correctly, this is the case, so we should be safe here.

Thanks !

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Xu, Yaning" <ya...@intel.com>.
I also have checked with my management and it's ok for me to give my codes to the ASF.

Regards,

Yaning

Sorry for the late due to a national wide holiday.

For the first item we need to do, I will fill the code donation form late today.

Regarding the second item or the following request, I have checked with my management and it's OK for me to give my codes to the ASF. Would other Kerby committers please check this as well? Thanks.

>> each one of the kerby committer must be sure they understand the iCLA they submitted to The ASF : they do have to check with their management they are allowed to give the code they are writing to The ASF. If I understand correctly, this is the case, so we should be safe here.

Regards,
Kai

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.
I also have checked with my management and it's OK for me to give the code to the ASF.

Thanks
Jiajia

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel for sorting this out and it should work great for us! I will get my part done when back to office.

Regards,
Kai

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Oops, ref. the following instructions looks like I have to fill a grants.txt (https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt) first and send it to the secretary@apache.org before filling the form. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I will:
1) Make a copy of the grants.txt file, fill, sign and then scan it. Then send the result document to secretary@apache.org.
2) Meanwhile, fill the IP clearance document and commit it to Kerby.

===

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
I have made the draft for the IP clearance in the following commit. Please help review, thanks.

commit 735fdf7907dbfa6b2dce6d37d9d6e331d465cc80
Author: drankye <ka...@intel.com>
Date:   Mon Sep 7 18:48:41 2015 +0800

    Added a draft for the ip clearance doc

When I get the approval from the officer for the grants.txt file, this file then could be committed to the ASF incubator place. Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

I have made the software grants.txt and it was acknowledged by ASF officer.
So for the next steps, in my understanding:
1. Commit kerby-repo/docs/ kerby-ip-clearance.xml to incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/kerby.xml
2. Add a row to the table at incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/index.xml

With above done, I guess we're approaching to the final.
Please let me know if anything more I need to provide. Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Re: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
OK, see. I'm not an incubator, so I guess I don’t have the commit privilege to the address? So maybe I could ask for other's help for the commit?

Regards,
Kai

> Sorry I didn't get the link for the plain text file (a *.txt?) in the mentioned page. Or did you mean I just save and edit the html file?

Ah, sorry, it seems like it has to be filled in a XML format, which will be automatically converted to a text format when committed.

Re: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: [Kerby] IP Clearance

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

I just figured out what to do for my part, to fill the following form.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.xml

I saw many good samples listed in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/, and guess I could follow them like the good one for Fortress made by Shawn.

My question is the template is an XML file. When I get it ready, is it correct that I need to display the file as a human readable form so am able to print/scan and send to secretary@a.o? If so, any suggestion how to display it (in browser or whatever software with an XSLT stylesheet)? Not very sure. Thanks for help.

Regards,
Kai