Posted to announce@apachecon.com by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2001/02/18 02:03:07 UTC

ApacheCon list problems

Firstly, if you have been trying to get off this list
and keep getting the messages anyway, send a blank message
to <an...@ApacheCon.Com> one more time --
this time it will stick.

If you want to stay on the ApacheCon announcement list,
just ignore this message.

Now for the explanation of what has been going on.  I
sent one a few weeks ago, but apparently it was not
very clear.

There are two ways to get subscribed to this list:

1. You actually sent a subscription request message, or
2. You have a record in the database.

You will have a record in our database if you have ever
attended an ApacheCon event, spoken at one, submitted a
session proposal, or just signed up at the Web site.

If you were on this list because of #1, and #2 was not the
case, sending an empty message to the unsubscription
address, <an...@ApacheCon.Com>, would (and
will) take you off the list.

HOWEVER.. if #2 is true, then your name would keep getting
RE-added to the list because of the flag in your database
record.  If you sent the unsubscription message, it would
take you off the list but not fix the database setting, so
you would just get re-added again.  And because of a missing
setting on the mailing list itself, we never got any
notification of people unsubscribing until they were really
frustrated and mailed us directly.

This has been fixed.  Now if you unsubscribe from the list,
the database flag will be changed to reflect the fact, and
you WILL NOT be re-added.

My sincere apologies for the frustration and irritation this
has caused some people.
--
#ken    P-)}