Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Adeoye Oke <de...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/03/10 14:32:29 UTC

Possible plugin for SA

Hi list,

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to use SA as
a SPAM filter for POST requests from a proxy server.

Why I ask this is simple. I have found SA to be very
effective in the control of SPAM when I have control over
the SMTP server through which users send mail. However, I
have a different type of challenge; to keep webmail users
of services out of my control, from using my proxy to send
SPAM.

This may not be the best place for this question, but it
seems possible that such a feature could be useful, since
SA already can catch SPAM with its filters. I figured that
if there was some sort of plugin to SA, to enable it accept
HTTP and perform filtering on that, so it could decide if
the content was SPAM, then let it through if not SPAM,
otherwise mark it or just redirect the client to a web
page.

If something like this could be implemented, the way
content filters are; it could go a long way to reduce SPAM
generated through free webmail providers.

Looking forward to any useful contribution.

Thanks.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Possible plugin for SA

Posted by Adeoye Oke <de...@yahoo.co.uk>.

--- Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Rather than a custom plugin, I think you are looking for
> a custom wrapper
> around SA.  People have written such things for blog
> software, which would
> not be too much different from your use.  You could
> probably also do some
> creative routing to run the mail through spamd and get a
> result back.
> Obviously you want to know the classification result,
> since (I presume) you
> don't want to send the message it if appears to be spam.
>
>         Loren

Thanks. That is correct, I wouldnt want the mail sent if it
appears to be spam. However, is there any more information
you could give me regarding what I might use to create this
wrapper or find a useable one.

Regards.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Possible plugin for SA

Re: Possible plugin for SA

Posted by Adeoye Oke <de...@yahoo.co.uk>.

--- Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > If something like this could be implemented, the way
> > content filters are; it could go a long way to reduce
> SPAM
> > generated through free webmail providers.
>
> Those free webmail providers can also filter outgoing
> mail, right?
>
> Bye,
> Raymond.

Thought about that, but figured most webmail providers may
not want their users emails going out tagged as SPAM from
origin, just in case its a false positive.

Then there is the issue that ALL webmail providers may not
implement SA or any other filtering on their out-going
email, hence making the ISP of the SPAMMER also culpable in
the generation of SPAM. Leading to IP blacklisting etc.

Ade.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Possible plugin for SA

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.