Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mauro Fabrizioli <ma...@usablenet.com> on 2001/10/22 10:36:50 UTC

Fall of performance in integrating Apache with Tomcat

Following manual suggestions, I've integrated Tomcat 3.2 with Apache,
using mod_jk, in order to have a more robust and fast product to manage
the static html pages. But, testing the new architecture with Jmeter,
I've found out that the average time in accessing both dynamic pages
(managed by my JSP application) and static pages had grown up to about 5

times (the comparison was made with Tomcat and Apache, both as stand
alone products serving respectively the dynamic and static pages). I'm
very surprised with this result as it makes futile the highly
recommended integration of Apache and Tomcat. I wonder if I'm making
some mistake in configuration or if this result is confirmed in
'literature'. In this latter case, which solution do you suggest?
Tomcat4.0 integration with Apache is more performant? Or I have to use
Tomcat also for the static pages (I've seen that this doesn't affect
that much the response times of static pages)?

Thanks for help