Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2007/11/16 03:28:57 UTC

Scheduling sub-project releases

The message from Lucas Galfaso was actually well timed.

At ApacheCon I was talking with Felix Meschberger about our need to
actually start making official releases of our sub-projects. Actually,
my thinking was motivated by the recent users@ message from Matthias
Luebken, where he was asking about how to get access to our service
implementations. Both of these recent messages illustrate that we need
to improve on the current situation.

In general, we have sub-projects that are in good shape and some that
are experimental. My view is that we should attempt to make official
release of all sub-projects as long as they do something useful (i.e.,
as long as it is not too unstable). My thinking is that they only way we
will start getting feedback for JIRA issues and possible contributors
for our sub-projects is by making them reasonably easy to access.

So, I think we need to make a list of which sub-projects we should
target for release (sub-project contributors should speak up about their
sub-projects) and start releasing them, giving them an appropriate
version number to indicate their level of completeness/stability.

It would also be good for us to figure out how we can create an OBR
repository for our released bundles.

This will likely involve a bit of effort, but if we actually want people
to use our stuff, we have to make it easy for them to do so. Let's try
to jump start this activity.

Thoughts?

-> richard

Re: Scheduling sub-project releases

Posted by Francesco Furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
Dear Richard, all

I apologize for the few activity around the UPnP sub-project, we talked
about the UPnP release in Munich but I missed the target.

Nevertheless we (me and Stefano) are testing the code and we would like
to submit some changes before doing an official release.
In order to be safe the end of December is the date we can reasonably
indicate.

I know the code has been sufficiently tested in the past and, excepted
for the documentation still missing, we could release the current version.

But let me say which are our plan (unordered incomplete list).
1. release two versions targeting JRE 1.3 and >1.4
2. remove the dependence with the upnp.extra bundle from the basedriver
3. enable the configuration of different parameters which are now
constant (e.g. MX, used port, bootstrap search type, exporter and
importer module)
4. improve the threading and buffer capacity of cyberlink (high)
5. back porting cyberlink to JRE 1.3
6. provide a set of helper classes with the extra bundle
7. rewrite the example code using extra bundle
8. write the documentation
-------
9. include part of Didier's sandbox code in the UPnP subproject
10. add security capabilities to the base driver.

Many of the points 1-8 are already implemented, as we are testing the
base driver on a Stargate gateway (ARM based), but we have to reorganize
the code and repository used. Point 9-10 are not required for the
release and they will have lower priority.

ciao
francesco

Posted by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Nov 15, 2007 11:28 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> The message from Lucas Galfaso was actually well timed.

Thanks!

> In general, we have sub-projects that are in good shape and some that
> are experimental. My view is that we should attempt to make official
> release of all sub-projects as long as they do something useful (i.e.,
> as long as it is not too unstable). My thinking is that they only way we
> will start getting feedback for JIRA issues and possible contributors
> for our sub-projects is by making them reasonably easy to access.

This would be great!

> So, I think we need to make a list of which sub-projects we should
> target for release (sub-project contributors should speak up about their
> sub-projects) and start releasing them, giving them an appropriate
> version number to indicate their level of completeness/stability.

As I said in my mail (and sorry it is was too hard) there is a need
for a friendly development environment for seasoned and newcomers, so
I made the modification to the ant build so there is a task to build
the eclipse projects (very simple once you really look around (maybe
this should be added to the "readme.txt" file) :-) and working on
getting an Eclipse extension point to register Felix as an OSGi
framework. Once this is done I was planning on start working on one of
the easy OSGi services to get up to speed.

> Thoughts?

I cannot agree more with this email.

Regards,
  lg

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Leveraging the page that we already had on sub-project release status:
>

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/Subproject+Release+Status
>
> I have separated the sub-projects that have been released from those
> that haven't. In the unreleased table, I have included a column
> "targeted" to indicate whether the sub-project is targeted for release.
> I have made an initial pass on some of the projects, but sub-project
> contributors should put an "X" into the sub-projects column that they
> wish to target for release.
>
> Once we have the list of sub-projects that will be released, we can
> start figuring out the process for doing so. Perhaps Carsten can create
> a simple document outlining how to use the Maven release plugin for
> releasing sub-projects. :-)

Hehe, yepp, I'll be doing something like this sometime in December.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

RE: Scheduling sub-project releases

Posted by Rob Walker <Ro...@ascert.com>.
I'd certainly be happy to see HTTP included.
It's been a slow burner, but I believe it's solid enough to be included.
We're now using it in our production code - and although this has thrown up quite a few wish-list ideas, basically it's working well.
-- Rob

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
I agree this is the time to start discussing a release which includes
more stable sub-projects!

On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:53 , Karl Pauls wrote:

>> So, I think we need to make a list of which sub-projects we should
>> target for release (sub-project contributors should speak up about
>> their
>> sub-projects) and start releasing them, giving them an appropriate
>> version number to indicate their level of completeness/stability.
>
> I can release the event admin.

I can release the dependency manager, and I'm willing to help out with
any of the service implementations that are part of the compendium.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Scheduling sub-project releases

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Scheduling sub-project releases

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this up. Actually, I think the Configuration Admin,
Metatype Service and the Declarative Services projects are basically
stable enough for release. In fact I wanted to bring this up on the list
- if not this would not have been covered by other things to do...

And of course, I could prepare the releases for these projects.

Regards
Felix