Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com> on 2006/12/06 18:37:26 UTC

sa-update

when I run sa-update it puts new copies of the tests in
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/updates_spamassassin_org which I
understand from the docs is the correct location. However, the default
tests remain in /usr/share/spamassassin/ and I believe they are still
being used. How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to manually move
them into /usr/share? I do not see any reference to the updated tests in
the cf files anywhere.
Tom

Re: sa-update

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:07 PM +0000 Duane Hill
<d....@yournetplus.com> wrote:

> I would assume sa-update wouldn't overwrite the default distribution
> rules that are initially installed. That would mean they would have to be
> placed somewhere else. This would be based on the fact that a new SA
> install could potentially overwrite updated rules if they were placed
> within /usr/local/share/spamassassin.

Some systems run with /usr mounted read-only. (It might even be a shared
partition, mounted over the network from another server.) /var is where
local varying data goes. sa-update runs frequently, much more frequently
than the system upgrades that remount /usr read-write. That means it has to
write to /var.

Re: sa-update

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
Rick Mallett wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Duane Hill wrote:
>
>> Thomas Bolioli wrote:
>>> when I run sa-update it puts new copies of the tests in
>>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/updates_spamassassin_org which I
>>> understand from the docs is the correct location. However, the
>>> default tests remain in /usr/share/spamassassin/ and I believe they
>>> are still being used. How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to
>>> manually move them into /usr/share? I do not see any reference to the
>>> updated tests in the cf files anywhere.
>>> Tom
>>
>> SA reads the .cf and .pre files from the
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/<version> directory. You should notice there is
>> a updates_spamassassin.cf and a .pre
>
> Not on my system. I'm running 3.1.7 and it seems to be working just fine
> with init.pre in /etc/mail/spamassassin and no updates_spamassassin.cf at
> all AFAICS. The distribution rules are in /usr/local/share/spamassassin.

I would assume sa-update wouldn't overwrite the default distribution
rules that are initially installed. That would mean they would have to
be placed somewhere else. This would be based on the fact that a new SA
install could potentially overwrite updated rules if they were placed
within /usr/local/share/spamassassin.

> I don't think this is news to anyone and I'm not reporting a problem,
> just reacting to the statement "SA reads the .cf and .pre files from
> the /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>" which I assume must be platform
> dependent".

I am running on FreeBSD and that is the location the updates are placed
in when running sa-update, whether it is the SA updated rules via
sa-update or any other rules channel using sa-update.

Re: sa-update

Posted by Rick Mallett <rm...@ccs.carleton.ca>.
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Duane Hill wrote:

> Thomas Bolioli wrote:
>> when I run sa-update it puts new copies of the tests in
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/updates_spamassassin_org which I understand
>> from the docs is the correct location. However, the default tests remain in
>> /usr/share/spamassassin/ and I believe they are still being used. How is
>> this supposed to work? Am I supposed to manually move them into /usr/share?
>> I do not see any reference to the updated tests in the cf files anywhere.
>> Tom
>
> SA reads the .cf and .pre files from the /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>
> directory. You should notice there is a updates_spamassassin.cf and a .pre

Not on my system. I'm running 3.1.7 and it seems to be working just fine
with init.pre in /etc/mail/spamassassin and no updates_spamassassin.cf at
all AFAICS. The distribution rules are in /usr/local/share/spamassassin.

I don't think this is news to anyone and I'm not reporting a problem,
just reacting to the statement "SA reads the .cf and .pre files from
the /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>" which I assume must be platform
dependent".

> within that directory. If you look within the .cf file, it will list all
> rules within the updates_spamassassin.org directory. That is how SA loads
> those rules up. It is my guess those rules take priority over the default set
> that is installed in /usr/share or /usr/local/share. Someone please correct
> me if I am wrong on this assumption.
>
> You should not need to move the rules within /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>
> directory to any other location.

"/var/lib" doesn't even exist on my system (Sun Solaris 8).

- rick

Re: sa-update

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 06:06:32PM +0000, Duane Hill wrote:
> how SA loads those rules up. It is my guess those rules take priority
> over the default set that is installed in /usr/share or
> /usr/local/share. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this
> assumption.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

has a lot of information about these types of things, fwiw.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Words and ideas are what change our world.

Re: sa-update

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> when I run sa-update it puts new copies of the tests in
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/updates_spamassassin_org which I
> understand from the docs is the correct location. However, the default
> tests remain in /usr/share/spamassassin/ and I believe they are still
> being used. How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to manually move
> them into /usr/share? I do not see any reference to the updated tests in
> the cf files anywhere.
> Tom

SA reads the .cf and .pre files from the /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>
directory. You should notice there is a updates_spamassassin.cf and a
.pre within that directory. If you look within the .cf file, it will

Re: sa-update

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> when I run sa-update it puts new copies of the tests in
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001005/updates_spamassassin_org which I
> understand from the docs is the correct location. However, the default
> tests remain in /usr/share/spamassassin/ and I believe they are still
> being used. How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to manually
> move them into /usr/share? I do not see any reference to the updated
> tests in the cf files anywhere.
> Tom
IF there are files in
/var/lib/spamassassin/version/updates_spamassassin_org, they'll be used
instead of the ones in /usr/share/spamassassin.

If you do "spamassassin -D --lint", you'll see that they're picked up.