Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2005/01/14 10:08:28 UTC

Property name policy (was Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTypes selectors.html)

On 13 Jan 2005, <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I have declared a policy on what we will name new properties. Is
> this a good formal policy to have?

<snip/>

> If new properties get added (it happens), expect them to appear
> under the "ant." and "org.apache.tools.ant" prefixes, unless the
> developers have a very good reason to use another
> prefix. Accordingly, please avoid using properties that begin
> with these prefixes, to reduce the risk that future Ant releases
> break your build file.

+1

maybe we should reserve the "build." prefix as well -
build.sysclasspath and CVS HEAD's build.clonevm.

Stefan

Re: Property name policy (was Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTypes selectors.html)

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Sounds good
+ 1

Cheers,

Antoine

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2005, <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I have declared a policy on what we will name new properties. Is
>>this a good formal policy to have?
>

> <snip/>
>
>>If new properties get added (it happens), expect them to appear
>>under the "ant." and "org.apache.tools.ant" prefixes, unless the
>>developers have a very good reason to use another
>>prefix. Accordingly, please avoid using properties that begin
>>with these prefixes, to reduce the risk that future Ant releases
>>break your build file.
>

> +1
>
> maybe we should reserve the "build." prefix as well -
> build.sysclasspath and CVS HEAD's build.clonevm.

I thought that, but then I use things like build.dir, build.test.dir
everywhere. I think we are better off adding new stuff  under ant.* ;
which leaves one place of instability in future.

Re: Property name policy (was Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTypes selectors.html)

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 on the general policy for "ant.*" and "org.apache.tools.ant.*"
-1 for "build.*"; I'm sure there are many projects that use "build.this"
or "build.that"

--
Jeffrey E. Care (carej@us.ibm.com)
WebSphere Build SWAT Team Lead