Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by msweeney <wh...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/28 14:50:52 UTC

Centos 5 OS not releasing memory Tomcat6

Tomcat version 6
Apache 2.2.3
Centos 5.2
VMware 2.5
2 VPU's
4G Memory

Guest Memory usage is on a avg 122 MB and Host Memory is at 3.31 G so we
know it's not the balloon driver.

Problem statement:

I understand as a SysAdmin that the JVM loves to grab all the memory
resources as it can, sort of like Oracle.  However when we stop and then
attempt to restart Tomcat it fails and the server needs to be restarted.
Also it seems that this memory is being held in the Linux Cache system and
to release it we run the following:
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

I guess my question is there a tuneable on either the OS or in the JVM that
will give me the same result?

Let me know any more information I need to provide.

Thanks,

Marc Sweeney

Re: Centos 5 OS not releasing memory Tomcat6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Centos 5 OS not releasing memory Tomcat6

Posted by msweeney <wh...@gmail.com>.
Here's the /etc/sysctl.conf parameters that I've started with:

vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 100
vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 100
vm.pagecache = 1 10 30

Since this server is taking Production traffic, we'll need to what for a
window to test this.  I'll let you know how it works out.  If the two
vm.dirty don't correct it I'll take it down to 0 for I believe the CPU's
will be able to handle the extra cycles.

Regards,

Marc

Posted by Maurizio Rottin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by msweeney <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes we did a custom install on Tomcat6.

No there wasn't any java processes running when we stopped Tomcat, so it
appears from the OS level to be shutting down, but it's not releasing the
memory space back to the OS.

running the free command after stopping Tomcat shows all the memory still
being held:

# free
Mem:       3921884    3326672     595212          0     317044    1528544
-/+ buffers/cache:    1481084    2440800
Swap:      2048152     316244    1731908

What I'm doing now is looking into the sysctl.conf parameters that will
flush the cache, sort of like Oracle.

Regards,

Marc Sweeney

Posted by Maurizio Rottin <ma...@gmail.com>.