Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Gibson <bg...@wheatonma.edu> on 2002/02/15 15:28:58 UTC

issue generating CSR with openssl command

Hello all,

I am trying to generate a Certificate Signing Request ( CSR ) to send to
Verisign so I can start using secure transfers for
a page I have developed.  When I run the command

/usr/bin/openssl genrsa -rand /dev/urandom -out
/etc/httpd/conf/server.key 1024

to generate a serv.key file, the CPU usage on the box shoots to 99.9 %
for this process and it never finishes.
I had read in a couple searches I did that there were issues with
openssl hanging but I am unable so far to find a fix.
I grabbed the latest openssl RPM from RedHat's site ( openssl-0.9.6-9 )
but that still didn't fix the issue.
Just for grins I tried running the same command on another RedHat 7.1
box and it happens there as well.  Has anyone
encountered this?

Also, the Apache Administration Book I have is a little old, can anyone
point out a good URL that shows how to enable
SSL for Apache ( running version apache-1.3.22-1.7.1 )

Thanks,
bgibson@wheatonma.edu

Re: issue generating CSR with openssl command

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.

> /usr/bin/openssl genrsa -rand /dev/urandom -out
> /etc/httpd/conf/server.key 1024

	That command above is to generate the key.
	The CSR is different.

	I use apache+modssl with openssl libs.
	I also don't use /dev/urandom. Perhaps the problem
	is with that. Read the url below (and bookmark it.)
	it will answer most of your questions and problems.

> Just for grins I tried running the same command on another RedHat 7.1
> box and it happens there as well.  Has anyone
> encountered this?

	I use slackware, and never a hang.

> Also, the Apache Administration Book I have is a little old, can anyone
> point out a good URL that shows how to enable
> SSL for Apache ( running version apache-1.3.22-1.7.1 )

	Most of my info came from:

	http://www.verisign.com/cus/srv/csr/modssl/v00.html

Hope this helps...

-k