Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Veentjer - Anchor Men <p....@anchormen.nl> on 2005/06/28 14:28:08 UTC

Externalize page/table state

What is the best way to 'externalize'  the state of a page (so a
ExternalLink can be used).

I have a searchpage with a query-property (and a few other properties).
It is not a problem to create an external link
by hand with all the required parameters. But I also have a table, and I
would like to retrieve the pagesize and
the currentpage. So the page has to figure out how these properties can
be retrieved from the table component.

But is there not a more oo oriented way? Te call a page and all its
components recursive and retrieve all information
that is required to externalize the state. Now I can create much more
complex components without having to know about
the internal structure of the components.

If an url is needed one big list of parameters can be created. And if an
url is entered every component can consume his parameters so there state
is restored.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Peter Veentjer
Anchor Men Interactive Solutions - duidelijk in zakelijke
internetoplossingen

Praediniussingel 41
9711 AE Groningen

T: 050-3115222
F: 050-5891696
E: p.veentjer@anchormen.nl
I : www.anchormen.nl <blocked::http://www.anchormen.nl/>

Re: Externalize page/table state

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Not entirely sure that this can help, but:

Tapestry 4 has the ability to persist properties in the URL. See

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/current/UsersGuide/state.html#state.page-properties.types

In addition, contrib:table (if you use that) has the parameter
'tableSessionStoreManager' that allows you to define where to store the
table session. If you combine that with a property persisted in the URL,
you would achieve what you want.

Currently there isn't a mechanism to say that a particular component
should persist its state in URLs. This is probably something to think
about... Probably a parameter along the lines of
'inherit-informal-parameters' that would allow a the user of a component
to specify what the default persistance location would be...

-mb