Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com> on 2000/03/03 00:01:19 UTC

Re: 3.1 Beta... better naming? -> Tomcat 4.0?

"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> So this is something I have been concerned with for a while.  Naming
> Tomcat 3.1 when it is really:
>
> "Tomcat 3.0 revamped and now open source!!!!!!"
>
> I totally realize why the previous revision number was kept and respect
> that.  However I wonder if we should do something to signify that it is
> now Open Source and progressing towards being *very* solid and very
> awesome.
>
> So what about this.  3.1 gets released and we go public with it.  Then
> go right to 4.0 as the next release....

This was discussed several months ago on the PMC, and the revision naming
strategy agreed to was that Tomcat major revs would be synched with the
version of the servlet and JSP APIs that they support.  Under this policy,
Tomcat 4.0 will need to wait for Servlet 2.3 + JSP 1.2 specs.  Future
updates to Tomcat that are still servlet 2.2 + JSP 1.1 compatible would be
labelled 3.x.

> Why?  Granted it is totally about marketing... granted it has nothing to
> do with tomcat development.  However I really like the Mozilla/Netscape
> approach.  Mozilla 1.0 is the OSS impl and Netscape 6.0 (4.72 -> 6.0) is
> the commercial packaged impl.
>
> I would be interested in seeing what other people think.  Normally I
> would say that since it is OSS software now and that it is basically a
> *new* project we should go 1.0.  But we aren't doing that so I think
> this might be the next best scenario.

That (calling it Tomcat 1.0) would have been my preference in the first
place, but others felt that there was enough stigma to a "1.0" release
number that usage would be discouraged.  Like you said, it's totally about
marketing ...

> Thoughts....
>
> Kevin

Craig McClanahan