Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Carless <gc...@manh.com> on 2002/07/25 20:23:05 UTC

"Smart quotes" w/ Apache

Hello,

Our CMS system handles a lot of content that has been or will be pasted from
Microsoft Word; consequently, I'd like to be able to take pasted content and
replace Microsoft's nasty proprietary stuff -- "smart-quotes", and the like
-- with "normal" equivalents.  That's no problem, in theory -- however, it
appears that when such content is sent through a form, it's getting mangled
on one of my servers but not on the other.  On the server which is running
Apache 1.3.20 with PHP 4.0.6 (RedHat 7.2), the data that I pass gets through
just fine.  However, on Apache 1.3.23/PHP 4.1.2 (RedHat 7.3), the data gets
mangled so that  the string "This" (I've replaced smart quotes with 'real'
quotes for the sake of mailreaders that don't recognise smart-quotes) comes
through as ŵhis -- the opening quote *and* the first letter after it is
being replaced by garbled characters, while the closing quote is just
getting dropped.

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Apache or with PHP, but any help
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
--George

Re: "Smart quotes" w/ Apache

Posted by Pietro Cagnoni <pc...@mclink.net>.
George Carless wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our CMS system handles a lot of content that has been or will be pasted from
> Microsoft Word; consequently, I'd like to be able to take pasted content and
> replace Microsoft's nasty proprietary stuff -- "smart-quotes", and the like
> -- with "normal" equivalents.  That's no problem, in theory -- however, it
> appears that when such content is sent through a form, it's getting mangled
> on one of my servers but not on the other.  On the server which is running
> Apache 1.3.20 with PHP 4.0.6 (RedHat 7.2), the data that I pass gets through
> just fine.  However, on Apache 1.3.23/PHP 4.1.2 (RedHat 7.3), the data gets
> mangled so that  the string "This" (I've replaced smart quotes with 'real'
> quotes for the sake of mailreaders that don't recognise smart-quotes) comes
> through as ŵhis -- the opening quote *and* the first letter after it is
> being replaced by garbled characters, while the closing quote is just
> getting dropped.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Apache or with PHP, but any help
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --George

i don't know if it's an apache or php problem, but i'm almost sure
it's an UTF-8 related problem. my wild guess: check how php on the
malfunctioning machine handle the query string encoding.

hope this helps.

pietro.