Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/11/18 16:32:01 UTC

Committers

One of the problems I have observed here in RAT is the lack of
committers on the project. There are simply not enough people with
cycles to apply patches in good time frames (I know from personal
experience).

Given the nature of RAT I would strongly suggest existing committers
look to recent activity and provide early commit access to people
already known to us. To be adopted and therefore improved RAT needs to
be adopted by the projects expecting to use it, when a project looks
keen to do so we should, at this stage, make it easy for them to do
so. Hence, as mentor, I suggest a low barrier to entry for people on
ASF projects.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Committers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/11/24 Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>:
> 2009/11/24 Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>:
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> Robert mailed me offlist last week indicating he was going to propose
>>> a few new committers. I've not seen that mail yet.
>>>
>>> Robert?
>>
>> see rat-private
>
> Damn, that means I'm not subscribed to rat-private.
>
> Note, all votes for committers should also be made on incubator-private. See [1]

Sorry - notified to incubator-private

Re: Committers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

RE: Committers

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

ah, cool, if its all in hand then great, no probs.

Gav....

Re: Committers

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Robert mailed me offlist last week indicating he was going to propose
> a few new committers. I've not seen that mail yet.
>
> Robert?

see rat-private

- robert

Re: Committers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Committers

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

It's most likely a one time thing, but if it's easier for me to commit
directly, then I'll accept commit access for it.

RE: Committers

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: Committers

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Re: Committers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Committers

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> One of the problems I have observed here in RAT is the lack of
> committers on the project. There are simply not enough people with
> cycles to apply patches in good time frames (I know from personal
> experience).
>
> Given the nature of RAT I would strongly suggest existing committers
> look to recent activity and provide early commit access to people
> already known to us. To be adopted and therefore improved RAT needs to
> be adopted by the projects expecting to use it, when a project looks
> keen to do so we should, at this stage, make it easy for them to do
> so. Hence, as mentor, I suggest a low barrier to entry for people on
> ASF projects.

sorry for dropping the ball on this. the MSc workload is really heavy
and the courses really intense. i really can't devote any regular time
to open source ATM. i'll try to find some time to do what i can over the
next few days.

- robert