Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/04/04 15:41:19 UTC

Re: More meaningfull parser errors (was Re: I want to become an Ant developer)

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  SM> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>  >>  checking whether buld.xml is at least well formed and
>  >>  providing better error messages would be helpfull.
>
>  SM> +1, this is already in the todo list
>
>  >>  Maybe Xerces would provide more usable error messages and thus >>
>  >>  just switching the parser would help?
>
>  SM> yes, xerces is much better at error codes than projectX, for what
>  SM> I've seen, but maybe it's a problem with Ant that doesn't print
>  SM> that information passed on the SAXExceptions...
>
> No, I don't think so. I've downloaded Xerces, hacked together an
> org.apache.tools.ant.Parser implementation for it (anybody
> interested?) and tried the following part (surrounded by a valid
> build file):
>
>     <javac srcdir="${src.dir}"
>            destdir="${build.classes}"
>            classpath="${classpath}"
> <!--           debug="on" -->
>            deprecation="on"
>            optimize="on" >
>
> The result using projectX
>
> BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: buildfail.xml due to:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-031 <
>
> followed by a stack trace with no new information. I've also dumped
> out the original stack trace of the SAXParseException, dind't really
> help much.
>
> The result using Xerces
>
> BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: buildfail.xml due to: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "javac" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
>
> and the stack trace.
>
> So yes switching parser does help indeed.

Great!

So +1 to make Xerces the default browser... BTW, ProjectX is now donated
to the ASF so to me it makes perfect sense since it will be integrated
into Xerces anyway :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: More meaningfull parser errors (was Re: I want to become an Ant developer)

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> > So +1 to make Xerces the default browser... BTW, ProjectX is now donated
> > to the ASF so to me it makes perfect sense since it will be integrated
> > into Xerces anyway :)
>
> Hmmm... Just use Jaxp. Pick up whatever is intalled.

I proposed to modify ANT to use it... But noone seemed to care :( :(

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>      <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: More meaningfull parser errors (was Re: I want to become an Ant developer)

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> So +1 to make Xerces the default browser... BTW, ProjectX is now donated
> to the ASF so to me it makes perfect sense since it will be integrated
> into Xerces anyway :)

Hmmm... Just use Jaxp. Pick up whatever is intalled.

.duncan