Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2015/07/02 23:01:05 UTC

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Hi all,

I want to revive the discussion on this thread, since the overhead of
CHANGES.txt came up again in the context of backporting fixes for
maintenance releases.

Allen's automatic generation script (HADOOP-11731) went into trunk but not
branch-2, so we're still maintaining CHANGES.txt everywhere. What do people
think about backporting this to branch-2 and then removing CHANGES.txt from
trunk/branch-2 (HADOOP-11792)? Based on discussion on this thread and in
HADOOP-11731, we seem to agree that CHANGES.txt is an unreliable source of
information, and JIRA is at least as reliable and probably much more so.
Thus I don't see any downsides to backporting it.

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, I'm willing to drive the
effort.

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Jul 8, 2015 2:13 AM, "Tsuyoshi Ozawa" <oz...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1, thanks Allen and Andrew for taking lots effort!
>
> > Is there any possibility that, we can restrict someone from editing the
> > issue in jira once its marked as "closed" after release?
>
> Vinay's comment looks considerable for us to me. What do you think?

Mistakes happen, even during the release process.

Presuming the set of folks who can edit closed tickets is already
restricted to contributors, why not assume any edits are the community
making things more accurate?

--
Sean

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.
I think it defeats the purpose ofu

On Jul 8, 2015, at 12:13 AM, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1, thanks Allen and Andrew for taking lots effort!
>
>> Is there any possibility that, we can restrict someone from editing the
>> issue in jira once its marked as "closed" after release?
>
> Vinay's comment looks considerable for us to me. What do you think?

	If you lock closed liras, then how does re-open work when something gets reverted?

	I’m also not sure what purpose it ultimately serves.  Is it the fear that the release data that gets shipped with the src tar ball will be wrong? Is it that the data might change?  That happens now and is pretty much unfixable no matter what one does. [1]  Besides, it’s going to be *extremely* valuable for RMs to be able to edit the JIRA data when cutting a release, especially given how many people are refusing to write release notes for incompatible changes. Being easily audit-able _and easily fixable!_ is a huge win.

	It really is a feature that this data can be changed.

	Let’s say there is a change. Next release, we can re-roll the old change and release notes data for all releases and it will be correct on the website, etc, from that point on.

	FWIW, this is one of the reasons why we really should be publishing trunk’s doc-set to the website.  It’s generally more accurate than the last release. Never mind everyone seeming to think that “current” = trunk and getting confused when they write a doc patch that doesn’t apply to trunk.

[1] As part of the JIRA cleanup last year,  I added hundreds of JIRAs to 2.0.0-alpha and 0.23.x last year that were incorrectly marked for 0.24 and 3.0.0.  I doubt anyone but me (and the future 3.0.0 RM?) really cares.

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
+1, thanks Allen and Andrew for taking lots effort!

> Is there any possibility that, we can restrict someone from editing the
> issue in jira once its marked as "closed" after release?

Vinay's comment looks considerable for us to me. What do you think?

- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1, thanks Allen and Andrew.

Regards,
Akira

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1, thanks Allen and Andrew.

Regards,
Akira

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1, thanks Allen and Andrew.

Regards,
Akira

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1, thanks Allen and Andrew.

Regards,
Akira

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: IMPORTANT: automatic changelog creation

Posted by Varun Vasudev <vv...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Varun Vasudev <vv...@apache.org>.
+1