Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu> on 2004/11/16 17:12:15 UTC

Signal to noise ratio in Soap is very high

I look at a message send back from the server to a client in Axis, and
was very surprised that most of the text is not the data that I need to
send, but declaration and long namspaces.  Is it possible to reduce
these down and still comply with Soap?

Thanks,

vh

Re: Signal to noise ratio in Soap is very high

Posted by Jim Murphy <jm...@mindreef.com>.
Can someone describe what the "slow part of web services is"?  If you
think its the verbosity of XML I suspect your not measuring it against
alternatives.  The fact is unless your message payload is very large the
size of the XML body matters little in your overall performance - over
broadband.

A great example of this is trying to optimize SOAP envelopes in the <
1500 byte range - where many SOAP envelopes fall.  In this common case
the ethernet frame size is packed up to ~1500 when you don't use all
~1500 so "optimizing" from 1000 bytes to 500 just costs you.  Its costs
you the time and complexity of the compression step.

When message sizes get larger it's still not the perf killer you may
think - until messages sizes exceed !MB - YMMV.

Jim Murphy
Mindreef, Inc.

Posted by sa...@04web.com.

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.

Posted by Paul Callahan <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elaine Nance <el...@commerce.state.ak.us>.

Vy Ho wrote:

> I look at a message send back from the server to a client in Axis, and
> was very surprised that most of the text is not the data that I need to
> send, but declaration and long namspaces.  Is it possible to reduce
> these down and still comply with Soap?
>
> Thanks,
>
> vh

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  |  Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
  |                                 --  Pablo Picasso  --
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RE: Signal to noise ratio in Soap is very high

Posted by Christophe Roudet <cr...@activia.net>.
For the client side:
http://www.osmoticweb.com/axis-soap-compression.htm
also described in the previous link
http://www.osmoticweb.com/soap-compression-howto.htm

Christophe

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.

Posted by Christophe Roudet <cr...@activia.net>.

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.
What I meant is the signal to noise ratio is very low.