Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Price <mi...@computer.org> on 2003/06/27 18:33:29 UTC

Upcoming release 0.25.

Few questions.

1. Just noticed 14 open issues for 0.25. Are we still releasing tomorrow?

2. If we are releasing then I take it that I'm still using neon 0.23.9
since 0.24.0 still doesn't work. Is there a last minute patch I'm unaware
of?

Michael

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
By the way, in case anyone's asking themselves

   "Why are we bothering to make a 0.25 release only two weeks after
   0.24.2 came out, especially considering that two developers were
   out visiting CollabNet HQ last week and didn't do a whole lot of
   Subversion work?"

the answer is:

   "Because this is the perfect opportunity for a new release manager
    to practice on an easy release, with a small CHANGES file and
    little chance of anything going wrong.  Also, some memory bugs
    have been fixed and various other tweaks made."

:-)

-Karl

kfogel@collab.net writes:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > Are you going to be able to do the 0.25 release, or should we have
> > somebody else pick it up this time?
>
> Oops, human race condition :-).
>
> Someone else will pick it up.  Paul Lussier has already responded to
> the solicitation for a new release manager, bless him, just waiting a
> bit (one day-ish) to give others a chance to respond too.

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Paul L Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com> writes:

>  - Since I've done hard part of reviewing, consolidating, and listing
>    changes for the CHANGES file, how much more is likely to be added
>    between now and Saturday, which is the designated release day?
>    (IOW, am I waiting for more stuff so I can add that to the CHANGES file
>    or is what's there what's going to be released?)

Good question.  AFAIK, nobody has any big impending changes that "must
get out the door" with svn 0.25.

>  - Is there a specific 'time of release'? or, is it just whenever I
>    can get it out as long as it's still within the 24 hours designated
>    as the release date ?

Whatever you want.  It's not like there's someone with a stopwatch
watching, making sure it's released by a specific hour.  I think we
just hope you could get it out "this weekend sometime".

>      3. Create the release branch, check out a working copy of the branch...
>
>     First, does this really mean 'branch' or does this mean 'tag'?
>     There doesn't seem to be anything under svn/branches which looks
>     like a previous release, but svn/tags definitely looks like
>     what I want...

No, create a real branch.  The reason you see no branches in /branches
is because they were *deleted* by Michael Price when he was done with
them.  If you look back in earlier revisions, you'll see the branch
directories.  :-)

The general idea is:

  1. Copy trunk to a branch.

  2. Do all the release testing from that.  You can either check it
     out fresh, or 'svn switch' your working copy to the branch.

  3. If there are bugs, you tell us.  We panic, commit fixes to
     /trunk, and then you "port" the changes to the release branch via
     'svn merge'.

  4. After the release tarball goes out the door, copy your branch to
     to a tag, then delete the branch.  You won't need it anymore.

  5. If a couple days later we discover that we need to send out a
     point release (0.25.1), then just re-copy the tag to a branch,
     and repeat steps 2, 3, 4.

>    - make sure the working copy contains apr, apr-util, neon, and the
>      Docbook tools (XSL,   FOP).  Those are all needed to build a
>      distribution.
>
>      I have these in my current working copy.  However, I don't
>      remember where/when/how they got there.  I also haven't really
>      built svn from my wc other than building the docs on occasion.

Have you never built svn from source code?  apr, apr-util can be
checked out from CVS, but it's best to "grab copies" of the ones that
ship in the apache 2.0.46 tarball, since that's our base platform.

According to install, we need neon 0.23.9.  You can either fetch the
tarball, or copy the one you have, assuming it's correct.

For the documentation (book), I'm not sure if we have a policy of
releasing *compiled* docs in the source tarball.  You may not need to
worry about compiling the book with xslt/fop tools.

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by pl...@lanminds.com.

  kfogel> Definitely.  Editing those files is well within the scope
  kfogel> of release management, please go ahead and make whatever
  kfogel> changes you think necessary.

Okay, will do.

--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
pll@lanminds.com writes:
> May I add information to the notes/release.txt to clarify these
> points as I learn them?  It might be useful for future release
> managers.
>
> (Obviously now that you've risked the entire project by giving me
> commit access I have the ability to do so ;) I ask, because I see
> this task as slightly outside the scope, and therefore the
> priviledges you've granted me as RM, and I don't want to 'just do it'.
> I don't mind providing a patch for this type of thing and following
> the normal process.  In fact, that might be safer :)

Definitely.  Editing those files is well within the scope of release
management, please go ahead and make whatever changes you think
necessary.

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by pl...@lanminds.com.

  +> - make sure the working copy contains apr, apr-util, neon, and
  +> the Docbook tools (XSL, FOP).  Those are all needed to build a
  +> distribution.

  kfogel> Michael could best answer where he gets these from, if it's
  kfogel> not obvious from looking at your working copy and/or the
  kfogel> various README and INSTALL files in the Subversion tree.

May I add information to the notes/release.txt to clarify these
points as I learn them?  It might be useful for future release
managers.

(Obviously now that you've risked the entire project by giving me
commit access I have the ability to do so ;) I ask, because I see
this task as slightly outside the scope, and therefore the
priviledges you've granted me as RM, and I don't want to 'just do it'.
I don't mind providing a patch for this type of thing and following
the normal process.  In fact, that might be safer :)

Seeya,
Paul

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Paul L Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com> writes:
>     First, does this really mean 'branch' or does this mean 'tag'?
>     There doesn't seem to be anything under svn/branches which looks
>     like a previous release, but svn/tags definitely looks like
>     what I want...

Read the release process from start to finish, and you'll see a step
(8) where the branch gets moved to become a tag :-).

Also would strongly suggest using 'svn log' to explore the things
Michael Price has done on his release branches.  All the history's
right there, might as well use it...

>    - make sure the working copy contains apr, apr-util, neon, and the
>      Docbook tools (XSL,   FOP).  Those are all needed to build a
>      distribution.
>
>      I have these in my current working copy.  However, I don't
>      remember where/when/how they got there.  I also haven't really
>      built svn from my wc other than building the docs on occasion.

Michael could best answer where he gets these from, if it's not
obvious from looking at your working copy and/or the various README
and INSTALL files in the Subversion tree.

>      Are these also under svn control available for checkout (maybe
>      by using svn:externals or something?  Or, do I just need to go
>      and grab the latest versions of all these sources?
>      (another thing I'd like to add to the release docs)

They're not under svn control.

Keep asking -- Questions Are Good :-).

-K

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by Paul L Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
Hi,

Wearing my other hat as interim release manager (which I thought
would be more difficult than patch manager, boy was I wrong :)
I'm wondering this:

 - Since I've done hard part of reviewing, consolidating, and listing
   changes for the CHANGES file, how much more is likely to be added
   between now and Saturday, which is the designated release day?
   (IOW, am I waiting for more stuff so I can add that to the CHANGES file
   or is what's there what's going to be released?)

 - Is there a specific 'time of release'? or, is it just whenever I
   can get it out as long as it's still within the 24 hours designated
   as the release date ?

   (the reason I ask is that Saturday we're having my daughter's
    first birthday party, and I'm unlikely to be able to get to
    the release until my house is empty of guests sometime around
    20:00 EDT)

  - In release.txt it
says:

     3. Create the release branch, check out a working copy of the branch...

    Before I go and do something really stupid I want to clarify what
    I'm doing (and be able to document it for future maintainers :)

    First, does this really mean 'branch' or does this mean 'tag'?
    There doesn't seem to be anything under svn/branches which looks
    like a previous release, but svn/tags definitely looks like
    what I want...

    Assuming I'm correct, and creating the 'tag' 0.25, is this as
    simple as:

        svn cp -rHEAD http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk \
           http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.25

    and then:

        svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.25
    ?

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Michael --

Are you going to be able to do the 0.25 release, or should we have somebody
else pick it up this time?

Thanks,
-g

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: Upcoming release 0.25.

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:33:29AM -0700, Michael Price wrote:

> 2. If we are releasing then I take it that I'm still using neon 0.23.9
> since 0.24.0 still doesn't work. Is there a last minute patch I'm unaware
> of?

neon-0.24.0 support has been marked as Beta.

Sergey A. Lipnevich is working on it.

--ben