Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2019/04/16 11:28:29 UTC

SSLv2Hello "Protocol" Support

Hi,

It appears that the IBM JDK (version 8) has dropped support for SSLv2Hello
so when you startup tomcat with the IBM JDK you get a warning saying that
the protocol is being skipped. OpenJDK seems to have dropped it in version
12 or 13 (I haven't tested, just noticed a user list thread about it) so I
guess we should look at dropping support for SSLv2Hello whenever Tomcat's
minimum JDK is one of those versions? Is there a document somewhere I can
add this too so it doesn't get forgotten?

Thanks,
Coty

Re: SSLv2Hello "Protocol" Support

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
If we haven't tried to remove it in 5 years it might be worth another look
:)

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/04/2019 19:37, Coty Sutherland wrote:

> How many / how often are these error messages generated? Just when the
> server starts? Or with every connection?
>

>> Yeah, just the Connector startup warning.

It first glance I thought this would be a right pain to fix. Looking
more closely, I think we can use explicitlyRequestedProtocols and filter
out the warning unless it was explicitly requested. That should be a
fairly simple fix.

Hmm. I think there might be some scope for some simplification here.

Mark

Re: SSLv2Hello "Protocol" Support

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.