Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Martyn <gm...@verizon.net> on 2004/04/04 05:15:51 UTC

Problems with mod_authz_svn (Not to be confused with svn commit -N)

It might just be me, but a new problem started happening when I migrated from
Subversion 1.0.0 to 1.0.1. (On both Linux and Win32)

I am no longer able to authenticate when using mod_authz_svn.

Here's the ACL-ish file I'm using:
- ----------------------
[CareCircle:/]
* = r
Greg = rw
Gallick = rw

[www:/]
* =
Greg = rw

[My Documents:/]
* =
Greg = rw
- ----------------------

It's the My Documents one that I'm having trouble with. Any time I try to
commit, it asks me to log in (as expected). Unfortunately, the authentication
fails! I can authenticate against the others.

For example:
C:\www>svn ci -m "just trying to see if i *can* authenticate"
Authentication realm: <http://homecomp.gregmartyn.com:8080> Subversion
repository
Password for 'Greg': ********
Deleting       ignore this.txt

Committed revision 41.

C:\www>cd \

C:\>cd "Documents and Settings\Greg\My Documents\Work\CareCircle.com"

C:\Documents and Settings\Greg\My Documents\Work\CareCircle.com>svn ci -m "a
little organization (phase 2)"
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:8080> Subversion repository
Password for 'Greg': ********
Deleting       CareCircle.com\Just the top with new nav bar.psd
Adding  (bin)  CareCircle.com\Nav Bar\Source Documents\Just the top with new
nav
 bar.psd
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:8080> Subversion repository
Password for 'Greg': ********
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:8080> Subversion repository
Username: Greg
Password for 'Greg': ********
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:8080> Subversion repository
Username: Greg
Password for 'Greg': ********
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: COPY of Nav Bar/Source Documents/Just the top with new nav bar.psd:
authorization failed (http://localhost:8080)

Note: homecomp.gregmartyn.com and localhost are the same computer.

I'm not sure why it looks like it accepted the first login attempt but then
fails 3 times in a row after that..

I tried changing the ACL-ish file to this:
- ----------------------
[CareCircle:/]
* = r
Greg = rw
Gallick = rw

[www:/]
* = rw
Greg = rw

[My Documents:/]
* = rw
Greg = rw
- ----------------------

..and it still asks me to authenticate when commiting to the My Documents
repo. (It sill fails authentication) It *doesn't* ask me to authenticate for
the others. (Note: I deleted those files that cache the username & password.)

This looks like a typical case of not escaping file names to me, but there is
also a good chance of user error ;-)

Can anyone else reproduce this? Should I file a bug report?

BTW, thanks for reading this far :o)

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Problems with mod_authz_svn (Not to be confused with svn commit -N)

Posted by Greg Martyn <gm...@verizon.net>.

Re: Problems with mod_authz_svn (Not to be confused with svn commit -N)

Posted by Greg Martyn <gm...@verizon.net>.

Re: Problems with mod_authz_svn (Not to be confused with svn commit -N)

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Apr 3, 2004, at 11:15 PM, Greg Martyn wrote:

> [My Documents:/]
> * =
> Greg = rw
>
> It's the My Documents one that I'm having trouble with. Any time I try
> commit, it asks me to log in (as expected). Unfortunately, the
> authentication
> fails! I can authenticate against the others.

What if it were  [My%20Documents:/] ?
Just an idea that maybe Subversion is expecting URI encoding.
-Travis