Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2021/12/21 15:56:47 UTC

Solr 9.0.0 release in February

Hi,

Solr's next feature release will be 9.0 (as 8x is in bugfix mode).
Let's not even think about hacking an 8.12 release based on lucene-solr 8x branch. It will be ugly.

The "Solr 9.0 release blockers" thread <https://lists.apache.org/thread/m7k2gvgxldkns7jqjnw1ghhqx7s3tpl1> was started exactly 2 months ago to try to prepare us. But we're moving slowly. The same happened for Lucene, until the 9.0 release :) So I'll start the train right now...

I propose the following rough roadmap:

December: Cut branch_9x next week and enter feature freeze on that branch
January: Remove blockers, prepare build & release machinery, including Docker
February: Cut branch_9_0 and build RC1 - branch_9x is again re-opened for new features

I volunteer as RM.

Wrt blockers, we need to be tough on ourselves and ask the question "Is it possible to release 9.0 without this?"..
At the end of January we should have only a few real blockers left, that are all actively in progress.
The delay between branch_9x and branch_9_0 is to avoid having to backport everything twice during the hardening phase.

Jan

Re: Solr 9.0.0 release in February

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
It is obviously confusing to treat 9x banch as release branch and main as both 10.0 and 9.next.
I can symphatize with wanting a place to land 9.1 backports right now.

If we continue with current setup and wait with cutting 9_0, committers could adapt a workflow like this
* Merge your PR to main
* Create a feature branch from branch_9x with the backport, and open a PR against branch_9x (dropdown in GitHub9
* Whenever you do followup commits or bug fixes on main for your new feature, backport those to the 9x feature branch
* When branch_9_0 is created, merge the PRs

It's a bit more involved, but so is having three live branches that needs cherry-picking for all the stabilization work in the coming weeks. Perhaps they are equally burdensome?

Jan

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.