Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daulton, Douglas" <dd...@mgmmirage.com> on 2004/08/04 00:59:33 UTC

Syncing domains in email to prevent being seen as "phishing"

I am researching a recent problem with some of our double-optin
subscriber email.  Customers who subscribe to our email offers are
actually getting the email in their inboxes.  However, they are having
trouble seeing certain assets, mostly images.  We know this because our
customers are emailing us and complaining that their eCoupons are not
visible when they receive them.

We suspect there are new PC firewalls and SPAM filters that may see our
email as "phishing" because the FROM domain (mgg01.net) does not sync
with domain of the website from which these assets are pulled
(mgmmirage.com).  Can anyone confirm this?   Any light shed on this
would be very much appreciated.

Doug Daulton
Email Systems Manager
MGM MIRAGE Advertising, Inc.
"Promoting responsible, customer-requested email marketing"

Re: Syncing domains in email to prevent being seen as "phishing"

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, August 3, 2004, 3:59:33 PM, Douglas Daulton wrote:
> I am researching a recent problem with some of our double-optin
> subscriber email.  Customers who subscribe to our email offers are
> actually getting the email in their inboxes.  However, they are having
> trouble seeing certain assets, mostly images.  We know this because our
> customers are emailing us and complaining that their eCoupons are not
> visible when they receive them.

> We suspect there are new PC firewalls and SPAM filters that may see our
> email as "phishing" because the FROM domain (mgg01.net) does not sync
> with domain of the website from which these assets are pulled
> (mgmmirage.com).  Can anyone confirm this?   Any light shed on this
> would be very much appreciated.

Two suggestions:

1.  Don't send images.  Send text with links to a web site with
the coupons.

2.  Serve the images and send the messages from the ***same
domain*** mgmmirage.com.  Why dilute your brand and scare away
your customers with an unfamiliar and possibly phishy domain like
mgg01.net?

This is a cultural problem that will only get worse as phishing
becomes more of a problem.  This came up during the discussion at
the CEAS conference.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan