Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Laszlo Hornyak <la...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/10 15:55:16 UTC

SSL and JCE

Hi Sahmed and list,

I ran into some failing tests this weekend related to the patch
0076307863e9155273d9e4c14282de429388c9e9 apparently jenkins fails for the
same reason. I did a short investigation and it turned out that in order to
run the tests correctly, one has to download the sun jce policy files and
put it in the jdk replacing the original policies.

Questions:
- Is there a more convenient deployment process? :-) It would be very
useful for the jenkins environment as well.
- I gave it a try and patched the oracle jdk 1.7 with the same plugin, it
did not work. Do you know a way to make it work again with jdk 1.7?

Thank you,
Laszlo

--

EOF

Re: SSL and JCE

Posted by Laszlo Hornyak <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the _content_ of the jar files are different. It is kind of misleading.

--

EOF

Re: SSL and JCE

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Re: SSL and JCE

Posted by Laszlo Hornyak <la...@gmail.com>.
OpenJDK 6: working ok
OpenJDK 7: working ok
Oracle JDK 6: JCE install required
Oracle JDK 7: ?  - did those jce policy files work for anyone in oracle jdk
1.7?

I believe it is not really user-friendly, but acceptable both from legal
(not a lawyer) and usability perspective if we tell the system
administrator that if he/she is using Oracle JDK AND want to use encryption
with more than X (128 afaik - not much) bit encryption, then it will
require the Oracle JCE policies installed in the JDK. It is true that JCE
policies are not redistributable, but the same is true for Oracle JDK.
These are not distributed with ACS and are part of the java runtime
environment.
Anyway, this should be clearly documented in the product documentation.

Tests: I am just testing a patch that detects the JDK vendor as much as
possible and it skips the tests if the environment is not OpenJDK. It can
be overridden by build parameters. I will need some feedback on this since
I do not have all java versions on my laptop and I could not test with all
possible scenarios.

Thank you,
Laszlo

--

EOF

Re: SSL and JCE

Posted by Syed Ahmed <sa...@cloudops.com>.
The test don't do anything fancy with encryption. They just create a
command object and pass it to the certificate service which does
certificate validation. If the tests are failing because of a JCE
dependency, the management server should also fail when those commands
are sent over the API. So @ignore should make the build succeed but the
functionality may not work.

Thanks,
-Syed