Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org> on 2019/08/14 16:39:23 UTC

ASF slack for Apache Ignite - non English communication

Dear Community Developers,

Please share your vision about the following idea:

Russian Native speakers from the Apache Ignite community will create an
additional Slack channel #ignite-ru and will communicate using Russian
there.

A number of committers are Russian and not all of them are fluent
in English. I would make everything possible to keep our principle working:
'If it didn't happen on a list it didn't happen',

but since contributors work for different companies, we need to use
different messengers (skype, slack, Rocket, Telegram, WhatsApp). And the
language barrier is also a problem for some folks to express some of their
ideas.

I have an idea to move some peer-2-peer messaging to ASF slack channel
ignite-ru and make it simpler to connect outside the list without the
necessity to translate to English, and replace private communication with
the channel for everyone.

What do you think?

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Re: ASF slack for Apache Ignite - non English communication

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I would think that you should post on one channel and perhaps Infra can
install tools for automatic translation to English?

For example, https://slack.com/apps/AFQ66STHP-language-translation-bot

Regards,
KAM

--