Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Igor Bondarenko <je...@users.sf.net> on 2013/09/05 11:57:06 UTC

[allura:tickets] #6534 Wiki importer for github

Closed #415. `je/42cc_6534`

---

** [tickets:#6534] Wiki importer for github**

**Status:** in-progress
**Labels:** import github 42cc
**Created:** Wed Aug 07, 2013 09:54 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

Wikis are git repositories and can be accessed like `git clone https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine.wiki` for example.  Check the main repo API first to see if the repo has wiki enabled.  You can see https://sourceforge.net/p/googlecodewikiimporter/git/ for reference as an example of another wiki importer.  It is a separate repo because it needs the "html2text" package to convert html to markdown, and that is a GPL library.

Github supports many markup types.  Find a full list and determine what the best way to convert them to markdown is.  My guess is that few formats will have tools available to convert them directly to markdown, so my likely recommendation would be to render them as HTML (using [pypeline](http://pypeline.sourceforge.net/) as a generic way to handle many of those formats) and then html2text to get it into markdown.

If html2text or any other GPL library is needed, this will have to be a separate repo from the main Allura repo.  So please evaluate & test the conversion options first, before putting code into place.

A second phase to all this (i.e. do it separately, after the basic import is all working) would be to handle revision history.  This would mean going through each commit in the wiki git repo, and converting & updating every file that changes.  This may be very time consuming, so when we get to it, we may want it to be a checkbox option, so users only do it if they want it.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because allura-dev@incubator.apache.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/