Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s-...@nm.ru> on 2011/03/17 06:51:36 UTC

Dependencies for James as Windows service

Hi,

I have occasionally ran into an issue when James service fails to start upon
system reboot due to its dependency on a database server, and the database
just being a little bit slow to start...

The standard cure for this trouble is to register service dependencies, so
the system could arrange for the right boot sequence. By the moment I've got
this issue fixed for me, but it might be a good idea to have an arrangement
for dependencies as a standard option when registering the service with the
wrapper.

My registry patch is appended below. Unfortunately it is slightly opaque, as
the Registry value for dependencies is stored as hex. I have registered two
dependencies: for TCP/IP subsystem and for the database server. It is quite
common also to register a dependency on AFD for similar services, but
frankly I have no idea if it is really necessary...

Please kindly share your ideas...

Regards,
Sergey

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\james]
;"DependOnService"="Tcpip","pgsql-8.4.3-3.1C"
"DependOnService"=hex(7):54,00,63,00,70,00,69,00,70,00,00,00,70,00,67,00,73,00,\
  71,00,6c,00,2d,00,38,00,2e,00,34,00,2e,00,33,00,2d,00,33,00,2e,00,31,00,43,\
  00,00,00,00,00