Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/07/07 15:39:56 UTC

Re: [OT] Re: SSL configuration using PFX as keystore

On 30/06/2015 21:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
> This is probably off-topic now so marking as such.
>
> On 29/06/2015 14:29, André Warnier wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> Progress, if you can call it that, has not been good. They have now
> asked for additional network traces since:
>
> <quote>
> ... to be able to understand what packets are sent by client and what
> response did Server generate for the specific packet, I would like to
> check a simultaneous trace on both communication endpoints
> </quote>
>
> I have just sent a very long, fairly stropy reply pointing out the
> complete pointlessness of this request - not least because the
> information they claim they don't have is right in front of them in the
> form of the sequence and acknowledgement numbers in the network trace.

This continues to drag on. The stropy e-mail got the issue re-assigned
to someone with marginally more clue. They put together a test
environment (with IIS instead of Tomcat) and then attempted to
demonstrate that the issue did not occur and hence it must be a Tomcat
problem.

However, once they had configured their environment to match my original
bug report (server using cert issued by CA client doesn't trust, server
configured not to require authentication) imagine my lack of surprise
when the problem was repeated with IIS. Needless to say the other end of
the conference call went very, very quiet at that point.

The issue has now been passed to yet another support employee (I refuse
to call these people engineers) who apparently wants to discuss the
issue further. What they can possibly need to discuss at this point I
have no idea but having told them (again) how to contact me I am waiting
to hear from them.

I also discovered that - despite the conference call - the latest
support ticket update from Microsoft claimed the issue could not be
repeated with IIS.

It appears that the issue has been passed to the IIS team which makes no
sense at all since all the evidence points to this being a WebDAV client
bug and I have been making that point since this whole sorry episode
started.

While I continue to appreciate the free MSDN license Microsoft kindly
provide to Apache committers, I must confess to being completely
unimpressed by Microsoft's support structures and count myself fortunate
that I don't have to run an IT infrastructure that relies on them.

Mark

Re: [OT] Re: SSL configuration using PFX as keystore

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/07/2015 16:22, André Warnier wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>> With respect, you both don't get it.  MS support is deliberately
>> pitiful, to emphasize the fact that MS software is by definition
>> bug-free and does not really need support.
>
> I've had several extremely frustrating telephone calls this afternoon
> where various levels of Microsoft staff repeating their position that
> the WebDAV client is "working as designed" and that prompting for
> authentication is a perfectly reasonable response when trying to connect
> to a server that does not require authentication but does have a cert
> issued by a CA the client doesn't trust.
>
> So far the minor security vulnerability (details to follow once
> Microsoft provide their final response in writing) is "working as
> designed" as well. Hmm. "Microsoft Windows - insecure by design". There
> is a nice strap line. I wonder if their marketing folks would like to
> use it. I'd be happy to offer them a royalty free license.
>
> I've asked MS to provide the justification for this position in writing
> - mainly because I intend writing up a blog post to make clear to those
> who haven't already figured it out that the Microsoft WebDAV client is,
> despite the improvements in recent Windows versions, still buggy and -
> more importantly - Microsoft are point blank refusing to fix obvious
> bugs and (minor) security vulnerabilities.
>
> I recall that someone on this list said that they had switched to a 3rd
> party WebDAV client and hadn't looked back since. Could that person
> remind me what that client was. I'd be happy to give it a plug in the
> blog post.

If that person was me, I was mentioning WebDrive
(http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 7/22/15 1:18 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/07/2015 16:22, André Warnier wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>> With respect, you both don't get it.  MS support is deliberately
>> pitiful, to emphasize the fact that MS software is by definition
>> bug-free and does not really need support.
>
> I've had several extremely frustrating telephone calls this
> afternoon where various levels of Microsoft staff repeating their
> position that the WebDAV client is "working as designed" and that
> prompting for authentication is a perfectly reasonable response
> when trying to connect to a server that does not require
> authentication but does have a cert issued by a CA the client
> doesn't trust.

Yep: "working as designed" means "we designed it to work with our own
products under the conditions we ave specified, and nuts to you if you
want something different." Otherwise known as the "standards be
damned" design principle. I don't know why anyone is surprised, here.

> So far the minor security vulnerability (details to follow once
> Microsoft provide their final response in writing) is "working as
> designed" as well. Hmm. "Microsoft Windows - insecure by design".
> There is a nice strap line. I wonder if their marketing folks would
> like to use it. I'd be happy to offer them a royalty free license.
>
> I've asked MS to provide the justification for this position in
> writing - mainly because I intend writing up a blog post to make
> clear to those who haven't already figured it out that the
> Microsoft WebDAV client is, despite the improvements in recent
> Windows versions, still buggy and - more importantly - Microsoft
> are point blank refusing to fix obvious bugs and (minor) security
> vulnerabilities.
>
> I recall that someone on this list said that they had switched to a
> 3rd party WebDAV client and hadn't looked back since. Could that
> person remind me what that client was. I'd be happy to give it a
> plug in the blog post.

South River Technologies' WebDrive. It's a remote filesystem driver
that creates a drive letter which maps to some remote share and
supports (proper) WebDAV(S) including proper file-locking (as well as
local caching of files with lots of configuration options),
(S)FTP/FTP(S), Amazon S3, Google Drive, DropBox, SharePoint, and
something called "OneDrive", which I've never heard of.

I've never used WebDrive for anything other than WebDAV; I'm not sure
how great it is for those other protocols, but I suspect it will
perform well. Their tech support folks were even kind enough to walk
one of my users through the installation and configuration of the
software when she called to ask how to download the installer.

http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/

(Note: I have no financial interest in SRT. I'm just a happy user of
their product.)

> I'll also be updating the Tomcat docs to make it clear that the
> Microsoft WebDAV client is unsupported and I'll be removing the
> WebDAV fix valve from Tomcat 9 onwards since it fixes bugs in old,
> unsupported MS WebDAV clients and there is no way to fix issues
> like the current one on the server side. I'll be asking httpd to
> add a similar note regarding the supportability of the MS WebDAV
> client.

+1

I just sent an email to the folks running http://webdav.org/ about
Tomcat itself as well as WebDrive.

- -chris

Re: [OT] Re: SSL configuration using PFX as keystore

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> [...]
>> whole sorry episode started.
>
> The good news is that the IIS team is likely to refuse to accept
> responsibility for the bug (because, by definition, IIS contains zero
> bugs) and likely to pass the buck back to the WebDAV client team. If
> you catch them at just the right time, you may be able to show MS how
> to do their own jobs.
>
>> While I continue to appreciate the free MSDN license Microsoft
>> kindly provide to Apache committers, I must confess to being
>> completely unimpressed by Microsoft's support structures and count
>> myself fortunate that I don't have to run an IT infrastructure that
>> relies on them.
>
> +1

With respect, you both don't get it.  MS support is deliberately pitiful, to emphasize the
fact that MS software is by definition bug-free and does not really need support.
And to really bring the point home, MS seems to have plans to not name the next version
"Windows" anymore, but invent some other name.  Now /that/ should allow them to definitely
start with a clean slate in their support database.
There might be an idea for Tomcat there.. "Bulldog" ?

Re: [OT] Re: SSL configuration using PFX as keystore

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

> [...]

> be repeated with IIS.
>
> It appears that the issue has been passed to the IIS team which
> makes no sense at all since all the evidence points to this being a
> WebDAV client bug and I have been making that point since this
> whole sorry episode started.

The good news is that the IIS team is likely to refuse to accept
responsibility for the bug (because, by definition, IIS contains zero
bugs) and likely to pass the buck back to the WebDAV client team. If
you catch them at just the right time, you may be able to show MS how
to do their own jobs.

> While I continue to appreciate the free MSDN license Microsoft
> kindly provide to Apache committers, I must confess to being
> completely unimpressed by Microsoft's support structures and count
> myself fortunate that I don't have to run an IT infrastructure that

+1

- -chris