Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/16 07:26:17 UTC

TomEE 1.1.0 release tasks

I've hacked up a new tool to create a task and several subtasks for all the things that need doing when getting a release out.

Hopefully, this will achieve a few things:

 - get more people involved in releases
 - further document the steps involved in releases
 - get releases out faster with better quality

Take a look:

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-283

If you're looking for something to do, dig in! :)

There are fewer things as important as helping get a release out.  The work is not fun, but it needs to be done.  Helping with these tasks brings a particularly higher level of respect.

Feel free to ask how to do a particular task.  Ideally all of that conversation will happen on each of the individual task comments so we can successfully capture and document all the details.

As well if there are any tasks not listed, let's definitely get them added.  If you find yourself doing something for a release that should be repeated in future releases, let's definitely get it added.

Over time hopefully we'll get all our experience in the template:

 - http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/sandbox/release-tools/src/main/resources/release-tasks.xml

With 32 tasks in the list, there are plenty for everyone! :)

-David

Re: TomEE 1.1.0 release tasks

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
This is nice. I'd certainly want to start working on this.

--

Karan Singh Malhi
twitter.com/KaranSinghMalhi

Re: TomEE 1.1.0 release tasks -- LICENSE/NOTICE

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Among the largest tasks to be completed, are:

    [TOMEE-302] Update LICENSE and NOTICE of changed binaries
    [TOMEE-303] Create LICENSE and NOTICE for new binaries

These two typically tank most our releases.  It's in this particular area where it'd be great to see more volunteers.

For this release I won't be committing against these files at all in hopes that it forces more hands in this area. :)

To aid in knowing what kind of changes our zips have undergone, I did create a small little "diff" tool that can spit out a report:

    [TOMEE-299] Publish report of changed binaries

Running that would be a good precursor to helping out with the above files.

-David