Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2010/12/22 04:44:04 UTC

Generating release notes as part of release

Apache Commons has a policy (which is in alignment with http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice) to include release notes in the source distribution. I would like to generate the release notes using the changes plugin during release:prepare and have them committed so that they appear in the svn tag. Since they provide no value on trunk I would like to then delete them as part of the post processing when the versions in the poms are changed to the next snapshot release.

Has anyone done this or can recommend a simple way to do it?

Ralph

Re: Generating release notes as part of release

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I'd favour b or c. Don't add complexity to m-release-p

- Stephen

---
screen
On 22 Dec 2010 19:32, "Ralph Goers" <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> My thought was to
> a) enhance the release plugin to invoked the changes plugin and then
commit the release notes before tagging and then remove then after
> b) enhance the changes plugin to have goals to commit and delete the
release notes.
> or c) create a new plugin to do this.
>
> I'm already able to use the changes plugin to create the release notes and
get them in the binary distribution. That isn't particularly hard. The
problem is with the source distribution where what is in the zip really also
needs to be in svn under the release tag.

> My preference would be option a but I haven't really started playing with
the code yet. I probably won't accomplish much this week as I'm visiting
relatives.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2010-12-22 22:09, Ralph Goers wrote:

>>> How about doing an "scm add" operation of the generated release notes
>>> directly to the tag? Do it after release:prepare, to be sure that the
>>> tag exists, but before release:perform so that it can be included in the
>>> released artifact.
>>
>> I'm generally not in favor of modifying tags but in this case that might be the best idea.
>
> I agree, in normal cases.
>
>> I might not even have to write any code to do that.
>
> Right, you can probably use maven-scm-plugin for that
> http://maven.apache.org/scm/maven-scm-plugin/add-mojo.html

This won't be as simple as I had hoped. It will require checking out the tag, generating the file, doing the scm:add and then an scm:commit.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-12-22 22:09, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-22 20:31, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>> My thought was to
>>> a) enhance the release plugin to invoked the changes plugin and then commit the release notes before tagging and then remove then after
>>> b) enhance the changes plugin to have goals to commit and delete the release notes.
>>> or c) create a new plugin to do this.
>>>
>>> I'm already able to use the changes plugin to create the release notes and get them in the binary distribution. That isn't particularly hard. The problem is with the source distribution where what is in the zip really also needs to be in svn under the release tag.
>>
>> How about doing an "scm add" operation of the generated release notes
>> directly to the tag? Do it after release:prepare, to be sure that the
>> tag exists, but before release:perform so that it can be included in the
>> released artifact.
>
> I'm generally not in favor of modifying tags but in this case that might be the best idea.

I agree, in normal cases.

> I might not even have to write any code to do that.

Right, you can probably use maven-scm-plugin for that
http://maven.apache.org/scm/maven-scm-plugin/add-mojo.html

> Ralph

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Generating release notes as part of release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Dec 22, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2010-12-22 20:31, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> My thought was to
>> a) enhance the release plugin to invoked the changes plugin and then commit the release notes before tagging and then remove then after
>> b) enhance the changes plugin to have goals to commit and delete the release notes.
>> or c) create a new plugin to do this.
>>
>> I'm already able to use the changes plugin to create the release notes and get them in the binary distribution. That isn't particularly hard. The problem is with the source distribution where what is in the zip really also needs to be in svn under the release tag.
>
> How about doing an "scm add" operation of the generated release notes
> directly to the tag? Do it after release:prepare, to be sure that the
> tag exists, but before release:perform so that it can be included in the
> released artifact.

I'm generally not in favor of modifying tags but in this case that might be the best idea.  I might not even have to write any code to do that.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My thought was to

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I've started working on this but ran into a bit of a problem.  The plugin I need to write would want to use the functionality in the changes plugin. However, the changes plugin doesn't separate the actual logic into a separate jar so it is difficult to make use of it from another plugin. Is there any reason I can't refactor the changes plugin into 2 subprojects?

Ralph

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Ok, but I don't see a delete operation in the scm plugin.  Any idea on how to do the removal without that?

OTOH, my first instinct was to think that the release plugin should be able to generate the release notes on its own.

Ralph

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.