Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Tyler Baronowsky <tb...@point2.com> on 2008/12/05 15:49:06 UTC

james spool issue

I sent this email to server-user@james.apache.org<ma...@james.apache.org> and received no response. Also,
I understand that this list is only meant for development chat; but if you could answer my question or refer me to documentation then I'd be greatly appreciated.

How does James spool email?

I have an email that was sent on October 20th that was processed by James as spam. A bounce back is being generated everyday for this 1 email.
Would james spool from:

/apps/james/var/mail/   and files called .Repository.FileObjectStore / .Repository.FileStreamStore ?

In the startup log I see (I changed the mail id to all 5's):

26/11/08 05:08:13 INFO James.Mailet: ReProcess: Spooling mail Mail5555555555-555 from null

If you need anymore information please let me know.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Tyler

Re: james spool issue

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Tyler Baronowsky <tb...@point2.com> wrote:
> I sent this email to server-user@james.apache.org<ma...@james.apache.org> and received no response. Also,
> I understand that this list is only meant for development chat; but if you could answer my question or refer me to documentation then I'd be greatly appreciated.

one reason we recommend the user list is that you usually get better
answers there but i'll give it a go...

(please bear in mind that i don't run 2.x and have never administered
a public mail server)

> How does James spool email?

depends on the configuration

IIRC by default 2.x uses a file based document store

> I have an email that was sent on October 20th that was processed by James as spam. A bounce back is being generated everyday for this 1 email.
> Would james spool from:
>
> /apps/james/var/mail/   and files called .Repository.FileObjectStore / .Repository.FileStreamStore ?

sounds likely but it depends on the configuration

> In the startup log I see (I changed the mail id to all 5's):
>
> 26/11/08 05:08:13 INFO James.Mailet: ReProcess: Spooling mail Mail5555555555-555 from null

what i would do - and please remember that i'm a developer not an
administrator - is to stop james and copy the complete installation
(permissions and all) then debug the copy (not the original). i'd turn
up all the logging and let james process the spooled mail. then take a
look at the logs and work out what's happening.

- robert