Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Cokorda Raka Angga Jananuraga <do...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/14 17:12:18 UTC

How do Slide and Common VFS related?

Hi,

I _guess_ I've found several documents relevant to my
information needs
(http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=slide-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=4155).
Perhaps, these links can be useful for other people in
the list... so here they are:

- "Why Can't I Find My Files?"
(http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/574313.html)
- "Semantic File System"
(http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/gifford91semantic.html)

Now, I have another question: how do Jakarta Common
VFS and Jakarta Slide related? Do they overlap? To
what degree?

My initial conclusion is:

- Jakarta Slide is approriate to be used to deal with
access to physical location and handling important
aspects like versioning, access control, etc.

- Jakarta Common VFS is appropriate to be used to deal
with logical views of the file system. Perhaps, I can
implement something like semantic file system using
Common VFS.

So, the layering of my app would be:

|  Physical  |  => Use Jakarta Slide

...., does it make sense? Has anyone tried doing
similar thing?

Enquiring mind needs to know ;),

Thanks,
Raka