Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2004/09/22 22:05:19 UTC

Re: [sa-list] Feature request - Bayesian Classification

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Ivan Histand wrote:

> Hi... first I'd like to congratualte the SA team for a job well done with
> the 3.0 release.  I've been using the program for a couple years now with
> excellent success.
>
> I've been thinking about a possible improvement to SA.  Currently the
> classification of mail is pretty much black and white.  Yes, a score is
> assigned, but the bottome line is that mail either gets an X-Spam-Status
> of "Yes" or "No".
>
> An improvement would be to extend the sa-learn program with user-defined
> classifications.  a "type" parameter could be added, which would idetify
> the user classifications.  In effect this would be an easier, more
> flexible, and smarter way to build mailbox filters, rather than rolling
> your own in your mail client or .procmailrc
>
> For example:
>
> sa-learn --type "Mom"     for messages from my mom.
> sa-learn --type "Bills"   For financial messages
> sa-learn --type "Good Junk"  for commercial mail that is not exactly spam,
> for example newsletters.
>
> When the mail is filtered, and hits a bayesian probability of X that it is
> one of these user-defined types, SA would add a new header, something
> like:
>
> Procmail could then be configured to do the appropriate thing with these
> messages, or otherwise you could more effectively train your delivery
> agent or mail client to classify these messages.

Procmail already does this on my end, without SpamAssassin's help.

man procmailrc; man procmailex;

:O:
* From.*mom@aol.com
{
   :0 fwh
   |formail -aX-Spam-Classification: Mom
}

or something similar.

SpamAssassin is a great classifying tool, but there's some places that
R'ing The FM would probably be helpful, and learning that SpamAssassin is
NOT a "Thneed" or the end-all and be-all of swiss army knives.

See also:

Previous discussions on whether SpamAssassin should catch virii, whether
SA should strip executables, whether SA should strip office documents.

--

"I can feel it, comin' back again...Like a rolling thunder chasin' the
wind..."

-Dan Mahoney, JS, JB & SL, May 10th, 1997, Approx 1AM