Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nils Berzins <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/03 14:49:41 UTC

Getting depressed. (newbie question, probably...)

Hi Subversion Users !

I would be glad, if someone could give me some advice.
I have 2 boxes 1st MacOS X - client and 2nd FreeBSD 8 -server. The
second (FreeBSD) box is dev server for some web projects. I have
svnserve running on BSD box, but it seems to accept only IP6 localhost
(i think) connections. "telnet localhost 3690", gives:

[nils@homebsd ~]$ telnet localhost 3690
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
( success ( 2 2 ( ) ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries
commit-revprops depth log-revprops partial-replay ) ) )

Connection refused from any host on V4 subnet...

--------------------

FreeBSD - 8.0, svnserve is version 1.6.6 (r40053). Installation trough
ports collection.
SVN part of /etc/rc.conf looks like:

svnserve_enable="YES"
svnserve_flags="-d --log-file /var/db/repositories/svnserve.log"
svnserve_data="/var/db/repositories"

No firewalls enabled. Sockstat -4 also does not show anything
listening on tcp4/3690.
Googling trough the net I finally found an advice, to give additional
flags to svnserve: --listen-port 3690 --listen-host 0.0.0.0. Is this
normal behaviour or a bug, or am I doing something wrong ? Took me
half a day to figure it out...

Best Regards
Nils

Re: Getting depressed. (newbie question, probably...)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:49:41PM +0200, Nils Berzins wrote:
> Hi Subversion Users !
>
> I would be glad, if someone could give me some advice.
> I have 2 boxes 1st MacOS X - client and 2nd FreeBSD 8 -server. The
> second (FreeBSD) box is dev server for some web projects. I have
> svnserve running on BSD box, but it seems to accept only IP6 localhost
> (i think) connections. "telnet localhost 3690", gives:
>
> [nils@homebsd ~]$ telnet localhost 3690
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ( success ( 2 2 ( ) ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries
> commit-revprops depth log-revprops partial-replay ) ) )
>
> Connection refused from any host on V4 subnet...

Try:
  svnserve --listen-host 127.0.0.1
Or whatever IP svnserve should have on the subnet.

svnserve does not support IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time.
It defaults to the first wildcard socket the OS gives to it,
which is IPv6 on most systems today. You must use --listen-host
on those systems to get svnserve to do IPv4.

Coincidentally, just yesterday svnserve's behaviour was changed to
default to IPv4, so this issue will hopefully go away with Subversion 1.7.
People who use IPv6 only will have to use a -6 switch, until the world has
transitioned to mostly v6 so we can flip the default back.

Stefan