Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net> on 2009/03/25 09:34:47 UTC

Hi,

We have tomcat 5.5.17 installed, and all requests for "/" are forwarded to a login page that we maintain, so it was assumed that the manager application was not accessible, however if I put https://webapp:8443/manager/html a login prompt pops up.

I dont see any mapping for this url in our server.xml, so where is this being handled?

Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

Paul

This message may contain confidential and privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages are sent every day by the system. To find out why more and
more NHS personnel are switching to this NHS Connecting for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

Re: URL: /manager/html

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hi Chris,

I edited the url context:

<Context docBase="/applications/healthspace"
         privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="false">

  <!-- Link to the user database we will get roles from -->
  <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"
                type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>

Paul Ockleford
Developer

Systems and Service Delivery
NHS Connecting for Health
01392 206977
paul.ockleford@nhs.net
www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk

NHS Connecting for Health supports the NHS in providing better, safer care by delivering computer systems and services which improve the way patient information is stored and accessed.

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hey thanks again!

All of our tomcat servers run on a private network for the health service so nothing hits the internet ever so I guess we would never make it onto their stats anyway.

The only reason I would like to hide it is paranoia really, as we have the pen test they will undoubtedly report that they found the tomcat version and will look around for some exploit (whether one exists I don't know!) but they do produce a report to management.

Re: URL: /manager/html

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hi again!

I got it, I was looking at the wrong connector doc..

server

The Server header for the http response. Unless you are paranoid, you won't need this feature.

If I set the server value to "" I am guessing this will stop the sending of the server version.

Cheers

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hi,

Thanks for the replies from both of you (Chris and Chuck). One final question, what attribute of the server element would I need to change if I wanted to stop the tomcat version being reported in the http header? Looking at the docs there are only 4 attributes, is it classname? Would I need to implement a custom class if so?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)
> [mailto:paul.ockleford@nhs.net]
> Subject: RE: URL: /manager/html
>
> How would I undeploy the entire app so that browsing to the
> url /manager/ would not result in a standard error page?

Just delete the manager webapp:

1) remove server/webapps/manager

2) remove conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml

3) remove work/Catalina/localhost/manager

4) restart Tomcat

 - Chuck

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hi Chris,

Thanks again, we don't want to use it at all, and the problem stemmed only from the fact that we have a pen test due and although the manager app wasn't actually accessible (we never changed the tomcat-users file) browsing to the url reported a tomcat standard error page that revealed the tomcat version we are using. That is something they will pick up on during the test and is something we hadnt noticed before.

How would I undeploy the entire app so that browsing to the url /manager/ would not result in a standard error page?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: URL: /manager/html

Posted by "Ockleford Paul (NHS Connecting for Health)" <pa...@nhs.net>.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. Yes the forward for / is to our web app, I edited the file /tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/manger.xml to forward on any request to our admin login page.

Thanks for the link.

Paul

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.