Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by edingogh <by...@yahoo.com> on 2010/07/16 22:00:59 UTC

Build From Source Documentation (Apache) Hideously out of date

Right off the bat, the "Build from source" guide on the Jetspeed site is
horribly out of date. Critical information is missing, some of the
instructions steps are out of sequence, some steps are mentioned not in
their sequence but as an afterthought later in the document. Looks like
Hunter S. Thompson wrote the Apache documentation for Jetspeed--complete
stream-of-conciousness, disorganized approach.

I need to build Jetspeed (not Jetexpress or a portlet app) but the actual
Portal engine, from source. Can anyone point me to a better guide online to
building Jetspeed portal engine from source?

One of the first steps is just "checkout the source from SVN repos"---but
there are dozens of projects, none named just "Jetspeed", so no way to know
which project/projects to check out. Not in documentation.

Re: Build From Source Documentation (Apache) Hideously out of date

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
  If your application is so important to be considered career-ending,
you should give David a consulting contract to get him to help get you
started.

We were in the same situation with a project that had company-ending
potential with unreasonable timelines.

We contracted with David to get us started and we were able to meet the
timelines.

It was not very expensive and well worth the dollars, specially at the
beginning.

You can find products that are very easy to start with such as Liferay.
Some friends used that for a portal to support the administrative
functions of an on-line gambling site.
Went up fast but as soon as they started to need sophisticated
functionality, the portal development became very difficult and they
fought the system for the rest of its lifespan.
Short term happiness can sometimes be had, if you don't mind long term pain.

Jetspeed documentation is very difficult to use. It is designed to
document the range of functionality that is available.

It is not atypical for open source projects where the technical writers
are way too involved in the process and spend way too much time with
people of above-average intelligence who have the same backgrounds. They
assume that the rest of use must be that smart and have time to get
familiar with the inner workings of the tool.
In reality, we usually have our talents in other areas and only want to
know enough about the portal platform to get an application going.

But you can buy the expertise for a few dollars and you can get just as
much as you need to get you started.

Ron

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.

Posted by edingogh <by...@yahoo.com>.
Woonsan:

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by edingogh <by...@yahoo.com>.
 Correct:  http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/maven-2-build.html
Like I noted "the Apache documentation".

That's the documentation I am talking about.

And I already have the SVN URL. That's not what my question was. You must
not have read it carefully.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.