Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Dwayne Nelson <e9...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/10 21:03:56 UTC

SMTP servers, clients and ports

I'm having a difficult time understanding how to set-up and test a basic
James configuration, especially for sending messages.

First, my configuration: 3.0 M3 20110509.105439-346 on Ubuntu (Natty)
64-bit.

Ports 25 and 143 are open (I've decided to go without encryption until I
can get the server functional).

I can receive mail from the Internet on port 25.  I can access that mail
remotely using IMAP on port 143.  However, I can NOT send mail using
SMTP as my client never connects.  SMTP connections from a client on the
server succeed.  I believe outgoing connections to port 25 from remote
clients are being blocked at the client ISP - and in an odd way too
because telnet connections to 25 don't fail but rather remain blank.

So ... two questions:

(1) Is there a way to move the basic unencrypted client-server
communication (for sending messages) off port 25 (where it was getting
blocked) while leaving SMTP configured to receive server-server
communication (which is working fine)?

Previously  I tried changing the port in smtpserver.xml but it broke my
server-server communication and I couldn't receive mail anymore.

(2) Is the unencrypted setup really any easier to start with?

I am starting to feel like jumping into my start/TLS configuration might
be no more work than the port workarounds that might be necessary to
test the "basic" (unencrypted) server.

Thanks
-Dwayne

Re: SMTP servers, clients and ports

Posted by Dwayne Nelson <e9...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.  I think I'll stretch for the TLS configuration then because
it is where I want to be anyway.  I've picked up the example config file
from the following URL and I will wait for the SSL documentation to
release next week:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/container-spring/src/main/config/examples/smtpserver-ssl.xml

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi there,

comments inside..

2011/5/10 Dwayne Nelson <e9...@gmail.com>:
> I'm having a difficult time understanding how to set-up and test a basic
> James configuration, especially for sending messages.
>
> First, my configuration: 3.0 M3 20110509.105439-346 on Ubuntu (Natty)
> 64-bit.
>
> Ports 25 and 143 are open (I've decided to go without encryption until I can
> get the server functional).
>
> I can receive mail from the Internet on port 25.  I can access that mail
> remotely using IMAP on port 143.  However, I can NOT send mail using SMTP as
> my client never connects.  SMTP connections from a client on the server
> succeed.  I believe outgoing connections to port 25 from remote clients are
> being blocked at the client ISP - and in an odd way too because telnet
> connections to 25 don't fail but rather remain blank.
>
> So ... two questions:
>
> (1) Is there a way to move the basic unencrypted client-server communication
> (for sending messages) off port 25 (where it was getting blocked) while
> leaving SMTP configured to receive server-server communication (which is
> working fine)?

The only way is to "relay" email via your ISP's SMTPServer. Ask your
ISP if thats possible, then you can configure RemoteDelivery the right
way..

> Previously  I tried changing the port in smtpserver.xml but it broke my
> server-server communication and I couldn't receive mail anymore.
>
> (2) Is the unencrypted setup really any easier to start with?
>
> I am starting to feel like jumping into my start/TLS configuration might be
> no more work than the port workarounds that might be necessary to test the
> "basic" (unencrypted) server.

Well TLS is really straight forward too..

> Thanks
> -Dwayne

Bye,
Norman