Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> on 2004/11/15 03:12:28 UTC

[vote] Conversion of CVS modules to Subversion

What would y'all think about me converting our CVS modules to Subversion
<http://subversion.tigris.org/>?  Subversion the next generation version
control system targeted by the ASF infrastructure team for apache.org.
It provides functionality very similar to CVS, but without so many of
its warts.

Re: [vote] Conversion of CVS modules to Subversion

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com> writes:

>+1 As well,

>I think though that if we are going through the effort of moving things,
>lets not move JCS and keep it under the jakarta-turbine- envelope.  Either
>leave it, or promote it out.

I've talked to the JCS guys (Aaron Smuts) multiple times but they haven't
created a proposal yet. So I'd simply leave them behind.

>Also, as far as other projects, I think only:
>jakarta-turbine-3
>jakarta-turbine-2
>jakarta-turbine-fulcrum

+1

>Henning, do we need to move jakarta-turbine-stratum?  T2.4 doesn't use it,
>and I think I can remove it from T3 as well...

Turbine 2.3 uses it. We should just slap an "1.0" on it.

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
+1 from me as well..  If you care about tags, then you probably don't mind
doing a component by component basis...   Most folks will go dreictly to the
head as well...

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:

>On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 07:17 +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:
>>
>> >I'd be happy moving only those projects.  Maven has had some degree of
>> >Subversion support for quite some time (available by wrapping the
>> >commandline binaries), but as to the specific functions referenced by
>> >Henning, I am not certain of the support.  If it's missing, I'm willing
>> >to add it for Subversion.
>>
>> Cool. Then I'm all for it. What time frame do you propose?

>I'm ready any time.  You and Eric give the word, as you two are
>producing the most code churn ATM.

Hi,

(back from ApacheCon, catching up with my mails...)

>Regarding layout, here's a strawman to nitpick which makes the
>assumption that neither the site module nor most of the other modules
>are in use:

>jakarta/
>  fulcrum/
>    branches/
>    tags/
>    trunk/

This is for Eric to say, personally I'd prefer

jakarta/
  fulcrum/
    component1/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/
    component2/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/
    component3/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/

because else the tags directory will sooner or later filled with
literally hundreds of tags (foo-service-1.0, foo-service-1.1,
bar-service-1.0 and so on). I'd also like to decouple the various
components stronger which is easier (IMHO) if we don't have

trunk/
  component1/
  component2/
  component3/

however, the reactor build might need this structure. Eric?

>  jcs/
>    branches/
>    tags/
>    trunk/

No call on that, however it seems that the JCS developers don't get
their act together on proposing for becoming a direct Jakarta
sub-project (come on folks! This is already an (almost done) deal. You
only need to send in your proposal!)

>  turbine/
>    branches/
>      2.2/  <-- branches from the jakarta-turbine-2 module
>      2.3/
>      3.0/  <-- the tip of the jakarta-turbine-3 module

I'm not happy with the 3.0 version tag. jakarta-turbine-3 is basically
a failed attempt at what Eric seems to get right with Turbine 2.4. I
don't want to block the innovation by having a "3.0" version that IMHO
will never get a release but will always be perceived as "newer" than
the Turbine 2.x release.

How about

turbine/
  branches/
    OLD/
      turbine-2 <- Branches from jakarta-turbine-2
      turbine-3 <- Branches from jakarta-turbine-3
    2.3/

Where is this module? It is not visible at http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/

>    trunk/  <-- the tip of the jakarta-turbine-2 module

-0. The problem with "trunk" is, that we don't have an uniform
"turbine" project. I definitely want to decouple META from the
HEAD/trunk and I have e.g. the ApacheFaces app as an example
application which I want to keep in the Turbine repo.

And also from Fulcrum, there are a few turbine-specific, but
core-decoupled components, that don't make sense outside of Turbine
(template service e.g.). I would be good to keep them in separate code bases.

I have a few Services, that build standalone vs. Turbine 2.3.x and I
have no intention to roll them into the turbine.jar. I'd like to put
them in their own tree and maintain them there.

Personally, I plan on

turbine/
  branches/
    2.3/
      core/  <- Current TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH
      services/
        service1/
        service2/
        service3/
      examples/

and I would really like to see

turbine/
  trunk/
    core/ <-- Current CVS HEAD
    components/
      turbine-specific-component1/
      turbine-specific-component2/
    examples/
     example1/
     example2/
    meta/

>This layout assumes that Fulcrum and JCS will eventually fully decouple
>from Turbine and become its own full-fledged Jakarta project, a
>repository of useful Avalon services.  "historical" could alternately be
>called "ancient".

+1.

>Fortunately, with Subversion, we can change this layout after importing
>if we run into an "Oops!".

>For your reference, here's the list of existing CVS modules:

>dlr@minotaur:cvs$ ls -d *turbine*
>jakarta-turbine-2/          jakarta-turbine-orgami/
>jakarta-turbine-3/          jakarta-turbine-site/
>jakarta-turbine-component/  jakarta-turbine-stratum/
>jakarta-turbine-flux/       jakarta-turbine-tdk/
>jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/    jakarta-turbine-tdk.old/
>jakarta-turbine-jcs/        jakarta-turbine-torque.old/
>jakarta-turbine-jyve/       jakarta-turbine.old/

There is a thread at

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1800768

where I summarized the various projects.

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 07:17 +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:
>
> >I'd be happy moving only those projects.  Maven has had some degree of
> >Subversion support for quite some time (available by wrapping the
> >commandline binaries), but as to the specific functions referenced by
> >Henning, I am not certain of the support.  If it's missing, I'm willing
> >to add it for Subversion.
>
> Cool. Then I'm all for it. What time frame do you propose?

I'm ready any time.  You and Eric give the word, as you two are
producing the most code churn ATM.

Regarding layout, here's a strawman to nitpick which makes the
assumption that neither the site module nor most of the other modules
are in use:

jakarta/
  fulcrum/
    branches/
    tags/
    trunk/
  jcs/
    branches/
    tags/
    trunk/
  turbine/
    branches/
      2.2/  <-- branches from the jakarta-turbine-2 module
      2.3/
      3.0/  <-- the tip of the jakarta-turbine-3 module
    tags/
      historical/  <-- the tip of the jakarta-turbine.old module
    trunk/  <-- the tip of the jakarta-turbine-2 module

This layout assumes that Fulcrum and JCS will eventually fully decouple
from Turbine and become its own full-fledged Jakarta project, a
repository of useful Avalon services.  "historical" could alternately be
called "ancient".

Fortunately, with Subversion, we can change this layout after importing
if we run into an "Oops!".

For your reference, here's the list of existing CVS modules:

dlr@minotaur:cvs$ ls -d *turbine*
jakarta-turbine-2/          jakarta-turbine-orgami/
jakarta-turbine-3/          jakarta-turbine-site/
jakarta-turbine-component/  jakarta-turbine-stratum/
jakarta-turbine-flux/       jakarta-turbine-tdk/
jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/    jakarta-turbine-tdk.old/
jakarta-turbine-jcs/        jakarta-turbine-torque.old/
jakarta-turbine-jyve/       jakarta-turbine.old/

All modules would be marked read-only after the conversion.

Re: [vote] Conversion of CVS modules to Subversion

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
FYI, here's how I did the Velocity repo:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/

And here's an email I sent about it:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=velocity-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=11305