Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Andreas J. Koenig" <an...@anima.de> on 2002/11/24 13:43:58 UTC

Working copy is not up-to-date. Error?

Consider the following sequence of commands. The repository is empty
when we start:

 svn co http://..../svn/foo
 svn add bar bar/memo plan.txt
 svn commit -m 'Initial Checkin'
 svn propset svn:ignore "RCS" .
 svn commit -m 'Setting svn:ignore on RCS'

The last command gives this error:

 subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:655: (apr_err=155011, src_err=0)
 svn: Working copy is not up-to-date
 svn: Commit failed (details follow):
 subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:871: (apr_err=155011, src_err=0)
 svn: Cannot commit propchanges for directory '/home/k/dproj/koeln/kurs/2002-11/private'

I have to run

 svn up

first, then I'm able to commit. Is this a bug or is what I'm doing not
correct?

I'm running with svn@3874.

--
andreas

Re: Working copy is not up-to-date. Error?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Timothee Besset <tt...@idsoftware.com> writes:

> I have hit the same problem with another approach yesterday. Basically I
> have a script that does a commit, and uses svn info afterwards to retrieve
> the revision number. While svn commit says "Commited revision 8", svn info
> still says revision 7. You have to svn up to get your directory at
> revision 8. And obvisouly nothing happens file wise .. it just says "at
> revision 8" once you run svn up.

Ah, but the point is that something *could* happen when you run 'svn
up'.  :-)

Re: Working copy is not up-to-date. Error?

Posted by Timothee Besset <tt...@idsoftware.com>.
I have hit the same problem with another approach yesterday. Basically I
have a script that does a commit, and uses svn info afterwards to retrieve
the revision number. While svn commit says "Commited revision 8", svn info
still says revision 7. You have to svn up to get your directory at
revision 8. And obvisouly nothing happens file wise .. it just says "at
revision 8" once you run svn up.

I talked about this in #svn, while there are internal/implementation
reasons things are that way, I'm really starting to think that the svn up
operation should occur implicitely after svn commit is executed or
something.

TTimo

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
andreas.koenig@anima.de (Andreas J. Koenig) writes:
> So if you wouldn't mind to extend on that, I'd like to know why my svn
> update was so silent. My update command only said:
>
> % svn up
> At revision 1.
> %

It means the update had no textual or property content to apply to
your working copy.  All it did was "bump" the working revisions in
your tree.  In other words, in terms of content, your working copy
*was* up to date -- but there's no way the client could have known
that without asking the server for a tree-delta against HEAD.  So even
though the server sends back an empty tree-delta, the client now knows
that the entire working copy can be marked as being at HEAD.

> After that I could commit. Shouldn't the update command say something
> like
>
> % svn up
> G  .
> At revision 1.

The G implies that some kind of property change was applied to your
directory, and it wasn't.

Re: Working copy is not up-to-date. Error?

Posted by "Andreas J. Koenig" <an...@anima.de>.

  > If you want to know exactly why these edge cases are disallowed, take
  > a look at doc/book/misc-docs/directory_versioning.xml.

Thanks, I've read that several times in the past and thought I'd
understood it, but apparently I still have difficulties with it. OK,

svn ci 'Lagging Directory' brainsync://me

So if you wouldn't mind to extend on that, I'd like to know why my svn
update was so silent. My update command only said:

% svn up
At revision 1.
%

After that I could commit. Shouldn't the update command say something
like

% svn up
G  .
At revision 1.
%

?--Thanks in advance. I hope this discussion will help others or add
some material to that chapter.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
andreas.koenig@anima.de (Andreas J. Koenig) writes:

>  svn co http://..../svn/foo
>  svn add bar bar/memo plan.txt
>  svn commit -m 'Initial Checkin'
>  svn propset svn:ignore "RCS" .
>  svn commit -m 'Setting svn:ignore on RCS'

You cannot commit a propchange unless a directory is up-to-date.
That's a restriction that has always existed.

Subversion allows mixed working copies, just like cvs.  If you commit
3 items, then after the commit, those 3 items are a newer revision
than the rest of your working copy.  This is a feature, not a bug.
:-) It would be a *very* bad thing if every commit forced you to
absorb changes from the server.  It just so happens that in a few edge
cases, directories have to be up-to-date to perform certain actions.
One of those edge cases is commiting a directory-property, and another
edge case is removing a directory.