Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by N Lamb <nd...@engleonline.com> on 2005/06/01 22:22:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Quick Directory Question...

My Setup:

Apache 1.3 on mac xserve with virtual hosting setup...

I have a problem with my server when I turn off "Performance Cache" in
the GUI My site returns a "You do not have permission to access...."
error when trying to get to my site (just the main page which is a
redirect to deeper in the site structure,  if you type in the entire
full path name to the true home page it is still there just the
redirect which is in the main root folder stops working)... I am
wondering if this little directory code is causing the problem??

Here is my logic... right now with "performance cache" turned on the
box sees everyone as coming from itself which is 111.111.111.19 so it
allows everyone to access what they need to access... when I turn
performance cache off the box see everyone coming from their own "true"
IP addresses and Denys them access.

Here is the code:

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from All
Allow from 111.111.111.19
</Directory>

Is my logic correct? Or am I completely not understanding this Apache
stuff??

Thanks,

Nathan Lamb

Re: [users@httpd] Quick Directory Question...

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/05, N Lamb <nd...@engleonline.com> wrote:
> Is there a good reference book you could recommend for me to buy that
> would help me learn and understand Apache (1.3) for Mac?
> Ideally a book with the basics, but would also be suitable as a
> reference (if not one book maybe two...)

This site:
http://atlassian01.contegix.com:10086/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/Books+about+Httpd
lists a number of good books.  But I don't really have personal
experience with any of them.  Perhaps others on the list will chime
in.

As far as reference books go, you are best off simply using the
documentation on the apache website.  That is more accurate and
comprehensive than any book.  (But buying a book to help you get
started with the basics is a very good idea.)

> One final question...  Do I need that directory line at all to protect
> the root structure?  And is there a security risk with just changing it
> to read as follows?
>
> <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents">
> Order Deny,Allow
> Allow from All
> </Directory>

That is a fine configuration if you wish to allow everyone to access
your website.  Whether or not you can delete this block entirely
depends on what else you have in your config file.  For example, if
you have
<Directory "/">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Directory>
then you will need the above section to allow access to that
particular directory.

> Thanks in advance and sorry of the elementary level of my questions...

No need to appologize.  That is the purpose of the list.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Quick Directory Question...

Posted by N Lamb <nd...@engleonline.com>.
I guess the info I am holding back on is the fact that I have been
trying to figure out why turning off the "Performance Cache" broke the
redirect for about 6 weeks (not constant work...  :)  ) I have tried
different other config fixes with no success and then while looking at
the config file yesterday this directory command jumped out at me and I
thought that it was too easy of a fix...  (but the logic made sense to
me)

The other piece of info is that I am VERY new to Apache and somewhat
gunshy...

So I figured I would post it here to get a confirmation of my
understanding of what is going on...

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.