Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Julián Bermejo Ferreiro | BEEVA <ju...@beeva.com> on 2016/05/26 08:53:44 UTC

Storm rebalancing problems

Hello,

We have a multiple-node storm cluster running on a Production environment.
We have had some issues with a couple of machines, which have been out of
service for a few hours.

Because some workers of the deployed topologies were running on the failed
machines, cluster's behaviour has been unusual (It has been running but not
as it should).

Once we recovered the failed nodes, and rebalanced the topologies, the
cluster returned to work properly.

We would like to know if there is any way to alert nimbus, when a node fall
down, in order to rebalance the affected topologies and  create new workers
in the healthy nodes of the cluster that supply those who were working on
the failed ones.

This would have helped us so much, because we could have kept consistency
in our service in spite of the failed nodes.

Any advice?

Tahnks in advance!

*JULIÁN BERMEJO FERREIRO*
*Departamento de Tecnología *
*julian.bermejo@beeva.com <ju...@beeva.com>*
<http://www.beeva.com/>

Re: Storm rebalancing problems

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
You can rebalance your topology with proper wait time without killing all
workers manually.
When 'kill' or 'rebalance' is issued, topology is immediately
'deactivated', so spouts are not fetching / emitting tuples. In wait time,
bolts process tuples which are already emitted from Spout. If bolts can
process all flowing tuples, it's a graceful restart. Same thing applies to
kill, 'graceful stop' in this case.

- Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2016년 5월 26일 (목) 오후 11:06, Julián Bermejo Ferreiro | BEEVA <
julian.bermejo@beeva.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Julián Bermejo Ferreiro | BEEVA <ju...@beeva.com>.
Hi Jungtaek,

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.