Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net> on 2010/07/15 18:45:24 UTC

Lenya and Maven

Florent, Richard,

I'm interested in working on the maven implementation, in case you still need
someone.

 Rainer

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Am 16.07.10 11:05, schrieb Florent André:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:34:22 +0200, Andreas Hartmann<an...@apache.org>
> wrote:

>>> A pause for thought though...
>>>
>>> Should we do this right now - or should we do it in the future lenya
>>> version.
>
> If we postpone all changes to the next version, so many changes to do,
> that none will be done. We have to move thinks step by step, with short
> cycles in order to :

> - don't break things

Good luck with that :)

When migrating Lenya 2.2 to Maven we had to relocate various classes,
change module dependencies etc. to make it compile. I don't say that it
is impossible, but I think it will be very hard to do this
incrementally. We should at least consider the risk that the codebase
will be unusable for a while.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
wrote:

>>> Makes sense. We could do something very quick and dirty :), as maven
>>> can just call ant tasks.
>>>
>>> So as a first step perhaps just make lenya build from maven by calling
>>> the exsiting ant tasks - and then replace them one by one?
>>>
>>> This way everything will continue to work ok.
>>
>> A pause for thought though...
>>
>> Should we do this right now - or should we do it in the future lenya
>> version.

If we postpone all changes to the next version, so many changes to do,
that none will be done. We have to move thinks step by step, with short
cycles in order to :
- don't break things
- be able to revert
- always have a compile trunk

>> We may spend a fair bit of time doing this now - time which we could
>> spend making new modules etc.
>
> I totally agree. Fundamental changes to the build process of a stable
> app might be not such a good idea. There are many risks of breaking
> things,

Little changes that non break.

We have to go forward, if nothing change, hard to prepare the future.

> and you introduce a barrier for people who are familiar with the
> current build process.

IMO less and less people are not familiar in (maven usage increase more).
And when good maven config, just 2 commands have to be know : mvn install &
mvn tomcat:deploy... not a pita to learn...

>> What are the benefits of doing it now?
>
> * Use Maven's dependency mechanism for our module dependencies
> * Get rid of our custom dependency management
> * Reduce the size of the repository

+1

> But I agree that we should rather spend our limited resources on code
> that creates a direct benefit for users.

Sure direct (or short term) benefit have to be done, but architecture
modification is a long term benefit that will cause great enhancement for
users.

Move or stay here ? Twice have risks, moving well could reduce them IMO.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Am 16.07.10 15:11, schrieb Florent André:

> Problem with 2.2 branch is that it include too many new things : maven and
> C2.2 (not really "clean" for now).

Cocoon 2.2 uses Maven and already provides a neat infrastructure to
build Cocoon applications using Maven [1].

The basic design of the Lenya 2.2 branch is IMO not too bad. It
leverages the modularization features of Maven and Cocoon 2.2. Modules
are implemented as Cocoon blocks. We invested quite a lot of work, but
there are still lots of open issues (details of inter-module
communication, fallback mechanism etc.).

But I'm not sure if it's worth figuring out all those things. I have the
feeling that we could get rid of large chunks of the codebase and
replace them with existing products. I still think it makes sense to
start with a clean slate for Lenya 3. Of course we can reuse existing
Lenya modules if appropriate, but that should not be the primary concern.

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:40:49 +0200 (CEST), Rainer Schöpf
<ra...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>
>  > On 7/16/2010 3:34 AM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>  > > Am 16.07.10 09:55, schrieb Vik Tara:
>  > > > On 07/16/2010 08:53 AM, Vik Tara wrote:
>  > > > > >
[[..]]
>  > >
>  > >
>  > I'm a big fan of maven, but I'm with Andreas on this one. I don't
think
>  > that
>  > a switch to Maven on the current branch (2.1.x) is worth the risks.
As a
>  > community, I think we have more urgent needs than switching the
current
>  > version to maven. Here's my list:
>
> OK, I see your point, Richard.
>
>  > 1) Fix editor problem (some tasks are remaining)
>  > 2) Better documentation (specifically surrounding editor problems)
>  > 3) Release 2.1.0
>  > 4) Close tickets (over 200 open, some for years, looks very bad)
>  > 5) Design V3
>  > 6) Implement V3

OK for this plan. Nice.
What will contain the 2.1.0 ?

>  >
>  > At the meeting, there was strong consensus that v3 is going to be
>  > completely
>  > different. It will be built from the ground up on JCR and Cocoon
>  > probably
>  > won't be our primary engine. V3 will be built from the ground up to
use
>  > maven
>  > and probably OSGi. The issues surrounding converting the existing
>  > project to
>  > maven won't be the same with a fresh project.

Just to be sure, you imagine restart from scratch with V3 ?

>  >
>  > I think we need to do 1 & 2 above quickly, which would result in 3.
We
>  > should
>  > also be working towards 5, so we can do 6. It would be so nice to go
>  > Apache Con in November with a design for v3 and to be able to
encourage
>  > people to work on the project.
>  >
>  > The 2.2 branch is there to do Cocoon 2.2 and maven. Experimenting
there,
>  > learning there is a good thing and can be a useful set of skills and
>  > experiences for the future. I am -1 on switching 2.1.x to maven.

Problem with 2.2 branch is that it include too many new things : maven and
C2.2 (not really "clean" for now).
What about :
A) release 2.1.0 as your plan
B) Begin the maven stuff on a new branch from 2.1

... and continue Lenya 3 definition in parallel ??

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 07/16/2010 08:27 AM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Am 16.07.10 14:26, schrieb Richard Frovarp:
>
> […]
>
>> I'm a big fan of maven, but I'm with Andreas on this one. I don't think
>> that a switch to Maven on the current branch (2.1.x) is worth the risks.
>> As a community, I think we have more urgent needs than switching the
>> current version to maven. Here's my list:
>>
>> 1) Fix editor problem (some tasks are remaining)
>> 2) Better documentation (specifically surrounding editor problems)
>> 3) Release 2.1.0
>> 4) Close tickets (over 200 open, some for years, looks very bad)
>> 5) Design V3
>> 6) Implement V3
>
> Big +1. I guess some of those can be worked on concurrently:
>
> ((1|2) > 3) | 4 | (5 > 6)
>

> -- Andreas

Right. This allows people to work on areas that hopefully interest them.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 7/16/2010 3:34 AM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>> Makes sense. We could do something very quick and dirty :), as maven
>>> can just call ant tasks.
>>>
>>> So as a first step perhaps just make lenya build from maven by calling
>>> the exsiting ant tasks - and then replace them one by one?
>>>
>>> This way everything will continue to work ok.
>>
>> A pause for thought though...
>>
>> Should we do this right now - or should we do it in the future lenya
>> version.
>>
>> We may spend a fair bit of time doing this now - time which we could
>> spend making new modules etc.
>
> I totally agree. Fundamental changes to the build process of a stable
> app might be not such a good idea. There are many risks of breaking
> things, and you introduce a barrier for people who are familiar with
> the current build process.
>
>> What are the benefits of doing it now?
>
> * Use Maven's dependency mechanism for our module dependencies
> * Get rid of our custom dependency management
> * Reduce the size of the repository
>
> But I agree that we should rather spend our limited resources on code
> that creates a direct benefit for users.
>
> -- Andreas

I'm a big fan of maven, but I'm with Andreas on this one. I don't think
that a switch to Maven on the current branch (2.1.x) is worth the risks.
As a community, I think we have more urgent needs than switching the
current version to maven. Here's my list:

1) Fix editor problem (some tasks are remaining)
2) Better documentation (specifically surrounding editor problems)
3) Release 2.1.0
4) Close tickets (over 200 open, some for years, looks very bad)
5) Design V3
6) Implement V3

At the meeting, there was strong consensus that v3 is going to be
completely different. It will be built from the ground up on JCR and
Cocoon probably won't be our primary engine. V3 will be built from the
ground up to use maven and probably OSGi. The issues surrounding
converting the existing project to maven won't be the same with a fresh
project.

I think we need to do 1 & 2 above quickly, which would result in 3. We
should also be working towards 5, so we can do 6. It would be so nice to
go to Apache Con in November with a design for v3 and to be able to

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Vik Tara wrote:

 > On 07/16/2010 08:53 AM, Vik Tara wrote:
 > > >
 > > > WDYT ?
 > >

 > > Makes sense. We could do something very quick and dirty :), as maven can
 > > just call ant tasks.
 > >
 > > So as a first step perhaps just make lenya build from maven by calling the
 > > exsiting ant tasks - and then replace them one by one?
 > >
 > > This way everything will continue to work ok.
 >
 > A pause for thought though...
 >
 > Should we do this right now - or should we do it in the future lenya version.
 >
 > We may spend a fair bit of time doing this now - time which we could spend
 > making new modules etc.

Doesn't this argument always hold? There are always other tasks than changing
infrastructure.

 > What are the benefits of doing it now?

New tasks can be written as maven tasks. If you convert to maven laer, you have
to convert more modules.

I'm for converting to maven now.

 Rainer

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Cool ! One more ! :)

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
yes sure !

Maven study (was : Re: Lenya and Maven)

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Thanks Andreas for this good point.

IMO

-1 for all in jar by default (could be an option ? If yes could be
interesting if performance gain), ability to change "in fly" sitemap and
xslt is a really good thing (direct effect, no boring compilation wait,...)

Any others issues like this will be great help for make the "move to
maven" decision.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Am 16.07.10 14:36, schrieb Rainer Schöpf:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>   >  Am 16.07.10 12:11, schrieb Rainer Schöpf:
>   >  >  On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>   >  >
>   >  >    >   Hi everybody,
>   >  >    >
>   >  >    >   if there is a consensus to switch to Maven in the 2.1 branch, I'd
>   >  >  still like
>   >  >    >   to address some issues beforehand:
>   >  >    >
>   >  >    >   Should we keep the web application structure? At the moment, files
>   >  >  like XSLT
>   >  >    >   stylesheets etc. are just copied to the webapp directory. With Maven,
>   >  >  a
>   >  >    >   module is usually deployed in a single file, e.g. a JAR file.
>   >  >
>   >  >  That's the default, but there is no reason why it has to be so. More
>   >  >  precisely,
>   >  >  this the default goal of the package phase of the default lifecycle if you
>   >  >  specify jar packaging in the toplevel pom.xml file.
>   >  >
>   >  >  For lenya, war packaging is probably the right thing.
>   >
>   >  Yes, as far as the whole web application is concerned. But what about single
>   >  modules? If we switch to Maven, my idea would be to build modules as Maven
>   >  projects. The dependency tree of a module could look like this:
>   >
>   >  lenya.modules.foobar
>   >    \- lenya.core-api
>   >    \- lenya.modules.foo
>   >    \- lenya.modules.bar
>   >
>   >  WDYT?
>
> Yes and no. From the top of my head I'd put the core modules into one maven
> project.

But then we would lose the benefit of Maven's modularization
capabilities … I'm not sure if managing external dependencies is worth
the trouble.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

 > Am 16.07.10 12:11, schrieb Rainer Schöpf:
 > > On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
 > >
 > >   >  Hi everybody,
 > >   >
 > >   >  if there is a consensus to switch to Maven in the 2.1 branch, I'd
 > > still like
 > >   >  to address some issues beforehand:
 > >   >
 > >   >  Should we keep the web application structure? At the moment, files
 > > like XSLT
 > >   >  stylesheets etc. are just copied to the webapp directory. With Maven,
 > >   >  module is usually deployed in a single file, e.g. a JAR file.
 > >
 > > That's the default, but there is no reason why it has to be so. More
 > > precisely,
 > > this the default goal of the package phase of the default lifecycle if you
 > > specify jar packaging in the toplevel pom.xml file.
 > >
 > > For lenya, war packaging is probably the right thing.
 >
 > Yes, as far as the whole web application is concerned. But what about single
 > modules? If we switch to Maven, my idea would be to build modules as Maven
 > projects. The dependency tree of a module could look like this:
 >
 > lenya.modules.foobar
 >   \- lenya.core-api
 >   \- lenya.modules.foo
 >   \- lenya.modules.bar
 >
 > WDYT?

Yes and no. From the top of my head I'd put the core modules into one maven
project.

To inhibit packaging, if I understand inheritance correctly, you set the
inherited property for the maven-war-plugin to false in the subproject pom.xml.

 Rainer

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

 > Hi everybody,
 >
 > if there is a consensus to switch to Maven in the 2.1 branch, I'd still like
 > to address some issues beforehand:
 >
 > Should we keep the web application structure? At the moment, files like XSLT
 > stylesheets etc. are just copied to the webapp directory. With Maven, a
 > module is usually deployed in a single file, e.g. a JAR file.

That's the default, but there is no reason why it has to be so. More precisely,
this the default goal of the package phase of the default lifecycle if you
specify jar packaging in the toplevel pom.xml file.

For lenya, war packaging is probably the right thing. The prepare-package phase
corresponds to the (current) ant target "webapp", and the package phase to the
ant target "war". If you don't want the .war file to be built, either stop the
build process after the prepare-package phase or create a custom packaging type.

 > Should we deploy each module in a single JAR file and adjust the fallback:/
 > protocol accordingly? Are there any possible performance implications?
 >
 > If we do this, one has to build the JAR file after each change, even to
 > XSLTs, sitemaps etc. If you use a servlet container that doesn't support
 > webapp reloading, it is even necessary to restart the servlet container.

There is no need to do this. It may need a bit of work to get the maven
configuration right, but it's all configurable.

  Rainer

Re: Lenya and Maven

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi everybody,