Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> on 2009/12/04 21:46:22 UTC

SLF4J for logging

Any thoughts about migrating to SLF4J for java logging?
Solr now uses it, as does Avro I believe, and other parts of Hadoop.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: SLF4J for logging

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I have found slf4j is generally no harder to use than any other framework
and it does have significant advantages when trying to integrate with other
environments (because it is just a facade).  If find that the slf4j strategy
of picking a jar file to match the environment is simpler for me than the
commons logging magic approach and more flexible than the log4j "we are the
world" approach.  This is probably an artifact of the scale of service I
build and on a larger, more containerized level the world might not be so
simple.

For ZK on the server side, I doubt the choice much matters.  For the client
side, I would think that the flexibility offered by slf4j would be good.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: SLF4J for logging

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Patrick Hunt wrote:
> For example, what's the plan when integrating Avro into Hadoop M/R & HDFS?

Avro intends to keep using slf4j.  When integrated with Hadoop, Avro's
log output goes through log4j via the slf4j-log4j12 module.

Doug

Re: SLF4J for logging

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.