Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Scott Smith <ss...@mainstreamdata.com> on 2009/09/30 22:10:51 UTC

Highlighting phrases in 2.9

I've been looking at the changes I have to make in my code to go from
2.4.1 to 2.9.  One of the features I have is to highlight query hits in
documents which meet the search criteria.   If the query has a phrase,
then I need to highlight the phrase, but not isolated words from the
phrase which also happen to be in the document.

In 2.4.1, I do this using the SimpleHTMLFormatter, the NullFragmenter
and the SpanScorer.  It looks like highlighter had a major overhaul in
2.9 and that SpanScorer is now the wrong scorer to use (it's been moved
out of the highlighter).   I also found some JIRA's that seem to imply
that SpanScorer is now used by default, but I don't see anything in the
javadocs that say this is the case.

Do I just need to remove the SpanScorer completely and assume that the
highlighter takes care of that for me?

Can someone suggest what I need to do or point me to some documentation?

Re: Highlighting phrases in 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Scott Smith wrote:
> I've been looking at the changes I have to make in my code to go from
> 2.4.1 to 2.9.  One of the features I have is to highlight query hits in
> documents which meet the search criteria.   If the query has a phrase,
> then I need to highlight the phrase, but not isolated words from the
> phrase which also happen to be in the document.
>

> In 2.4.1, I do this using the SimpleHTMLFormatter, the NullFragmenter
> and the SpanScorer.  It looks like highlighter had a major overhaul in
> 2.9 and that SpanScorer is now the wrong scorer to use (it's been moved
> out of the highlighter).   I also found some JIRA's that seem to imply
> that SpanScorer is now used by default, but I don't see anything in the
> javadocs that say this is the case.
>

> Do I just need to remove the SpanScorer completely and assume that the
> highlighter takes care of that for me?
>

> Can someone suggest what I need to do or point me to some documentation?

The QueryScorer is now what the SpanScorer was - if you want what was
the QueryScorer before, use the TermQueryScorer.
If you want what was the SpanScorer, use the QueryScorer.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com