Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Raúl Carazo <rc...@bilbomatica.es> on 2001/12/07 14:05:12 UTC

Problems with seeing pdf-files in IE 5.0

    I'm trying to see a pdf-report, created dinamically with an XML-XSL process. But if I try to see it with an IE 5.0, I see just a blank page with an icon. If I try it with an IE 5.5, I can see it with no problem.

    Why is it? And there is a solution, because I cannot change the browser to 5.5?

    thx

    Raul Carazo

Re: Problems with seeing pdf-files in IE 5.0

Posted by Matt Savino <ma...@synergizethis.com>.
All my urls are .jsp and I don't have a problem with IE 4-5-6
recognizing them as PDF--as long as I set the response contentType. I
have a myriad of other problems with older verisons of IE, but this is
not one of them.

Posted by Stephan Kassanke <ka...@gmx.de>.
and use "?" as the separator not "&" ...

Stephan
  Hi Cyril, we had a similar problem, the solution is simple: just put a dummy parameter at the end, like

      http://www.somewhere.com/myjsp.jsp&dummy=my.pdf

  This will cause IE 5.0 to display the pdf in the browser.

  Stephan

Posted by Cyril Rognon <cr...@objectiva.fr>.
That's the trick if you have to use .pdf ended url, use the query string
like Jamestold you to.

This is a particular IE5.0 pb, and some times it does not appear, the
response content type may be enough.

Cyril Rognon

RE: Problems with seeing pdf-files in IE 5.0 | Specification of folder for XML/XSL files under Cocoon 2

Posted by Matthias Fischer <m....@abc-media.de>.
Yes, that syntax works definitively and was used by us as long as we
utilized FOP under Cocoon 1. Cocoon 2 does not present this url problem any
more.

It presents another one, though: XML files cannot be specified to lie in
_any_ folder (Windows version of Tomcat/Cocoon), they must be placed in a
specific location deep down in the file system, under
"Tomcat\webapps\cocoon..." (at least, this is our sys admin's statement). We
find this a slightly cumbersome solution.

Has anybody made a contrasting (=better) experience?

Matthias

Posted by James Richardson <ja...@db.com>.

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
Here is the real problem.  When the servlet is posted to, the browser has no
knowledge of what type of data will be sent back.  We have a single servlet
which looks at the request and calls the appropriate class to process the
request.  The request then sends XML back to the servlet.  Then based upon
the presence of the parameter "print" in the http request, our servlet
attempts to locate the XSL:FO file that maps to the request.  If the XSL:FO
file is found, we FOP the XML and send back PDF.  Otherwise we use a
XSL:HTML file and send back a HTML page.  Our clients are responsible for
providing XSL:FO files for the pages they want PDF prints.  The XSL:FO files
are optional and may or may not exist.

Jim

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.

=====