Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/11/23 11:06:00 UTC

Hi all,

We should, at some stage, put an end to the various netbeans.org mailing
lists, e.g., nbusers@netbeans.org and the dozen or so other netbeans.org
mailing lists and ensure that everyone asks questions about NetBeans on the
Apache NetBeans mailing lists instead. Jiri Kovalsky and I, who have
managed the NetBeans.org mailing lists over the years, propose we send the
following to ALL the netbeans.org mailing lists at the beginning of next
week.

Subject for the mail: “January 1st, 2018: End of @netbeans.org Mailing
> Lists and Forum"
>
> Text:
>
> “If you’ve been following Oracle's Apache NetBeans donation process,
> you’ll be aware that a large part of NetBeans is in Apache Git already. You
> should also be aware that mailing lists are available at Apache for
> purposes of discussing the development and usage of Apache NetBeans.
>
> By means of this e-mail, we’re letting you know that as of January 1st,
> 2018, the @netbeans.org mailing lists will be deleted (they are archived
> at netbeans.markmail.org), all references to @netbeans.org will, where
> possible, be replaced with references to Apache NetBeans mailing lists, and
> everyone will need to manually move to the Apache NetBeans @dev (
> dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org) and Apache NetBeans @user (

> Anyone asking questions about the usage of NetBeans, whether for Java,
> JavaScript, C/C++, or any other language or technology, as well as those
> using the NetBeans APIs for developing modules and applications, will use
> the Apache NetBeans @user mailing list. If and when it turns out that too
> Apache NetBeans mailing list will be created for them. The Apache NetBeans
> @dev mailing list is specifically for those committed to working on the
> development of Apache NetBeans itself, as well as those committed to
> promoting and documenting it, via events and tutorials, etc.
>
> Note that we will be discontinuing the web forums, i.e.,
> forums.netbeans.org, and that in Apache there is no replacement for that
> — Apache projects work with mailing lists only.
>
> Hoping to see you all on the Apache NetBeans mailing lists, you’re
> encouraged to move there as soon as possible and to not write to the @
> netbeans.org mailing lists anymore.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Geertjan & Jirka

Feedback/comments welcome. We'd like to send the above to all the @
netbeans.org mailing lists at the beginning of next week.

Thanks,

Gj and Jirka

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi, +1

Maybe we can tell to put a prefix tag in subjet like the NetCat one.

Regards

Subject for the mail: “January 1st, 2018: End of @netbeans.org Mailing
> Lists and Forum"
>
> Text:
>
> “If you’ve been following Oracle's Apache NetBeans donation process,
> you’ll be aware that a large part of NetBeans is in Apache Git
> already. You should also be aware that mailing lists are available at
> Apache for purposes of discussing the development and usage of Apache NetBeans.
>
> By means of this e-mail, we’re letting you know that as of January
> 1st, 2018, the @netbeans.org mailing lists will be deleted (they are
> archived at netbeans.markmail.org), all references to @netbeans.org
> will, where possible, be replaced with references to Apache NetBeans
> mailing lists, and everyone will need to manually move to the Apache
> NetBeans @dev (
> dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org) and Apache NetBeans @user (

> Anyone asking questions about the usage of NetBeans, whether for Java,
> JavaScript, C/C++, or any other language or technology, as well as
> those using the NetBeans APIs for developing modules and applications,
> will use the Apache NetBeans @user mailing list. If and when it turns
> out that too many developers of one category dominate the @user
> mailing list, a separate Apache NetBeans mailing list will be created
> for them. The Apache NetBeans @dev mailing list is specifically for
> those committed to working on the development of Apache NetBeans
> itself, as well as those committed to promoting and documenting it, via events and tutorials, etc.
>
> Note that we will be discontinuing the web forums, i.e.,
> forums.netbeans.org, and that in Apache there is no replacement for
> that — Apache projects work with mailing lists only.
>
> Hoping to see you all on the Apache NetBeans mailing lists, you’re
> encouraged to move there as soon as possible and to not write to the @
> netbeans.org mailing lists anymore.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Geertjan & Jirka

Gj and Jirka

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Users seem to be confused about where to report issues.
>
> Maybe it's a good idea to add a link to the new JIRA issue system too.

Good idea. Will add that.

Gj

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <ri...@simkorp.com.br>.
+1

*Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter*
/SimKorp Ltda/
Fone: 	(51) 3366-7964
Embedded Image
/"A mente que se abre a uma nova ideia jamais voltará ao seu tamanho
original"/
- Albert Einstein

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I’m talking about the users who has a @netbeans.org address who created tickets in the bugzilla board of NetBeans.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Satya Prakash Dhal <sp...@gmail.com>.
unsubscribe me

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> I think it is a step back but ok to remove the forum. Sure we have maling
> lists,

Also the old mailing lists and forums are synced together .. badly!  I'm
not sure the number of threads on the forums is a good picture of how
active they've actually been.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...You could request a VM and set up something
> forum-ish there if need be. Something to consider :)...

But then the burden of maintaining the forum software is on the PMC,
right? Which distracts from their primary mission...

-Bertrand

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, today's the day the announcement re the end of the NetBeans.org mailing
lists is going to go out.

Where the announcement will be sent is listed on the same page as where the
announcement itself is described:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Ending+of+@netbeans.org+mailing+lists

For the announcement to the NetBeans.org mailing lists, we're going to put
the e-mail address of all the NetBeans.org mailing lists in the BCC of the
e-mail and then send it in one go to all of them -- no doubt annoying some
percentage of the community, though in the end it's critical that this
message is communicated, we're still getting heaps of e-mails daily in all
kinds of NetBeans.org mailing lists and that has to stop. Better to get the
message across while annoying some people than to not have communicated
this clearly enough.

And then there'll still be some who won't have got the message and will be
annoyed later -- again, the price we pay for being in a project with a 20+
year history with a massive worldwide community, many of whom are simply
using NetBeans without being aware at all of the transition to Apache
despite our numerous attempts to communicate this.

Gj

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 11/27/2017 03:19 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Right, great. My feeling from other Apache projects is that they're doing
> fine without forums -- if that's what we need to do to fit in with Apache,
> that's a very small price to pay, I think.

While forums are not usually a thing, it's not impossible to get it.
OpenOffice runs forums. You could request a VM and set up something

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Dne 27.11.2017 v 11:28 Geertjan Wielenga napsal(a):
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
>> IMHO it would be better to Keep the Mailing list until everyone or at
>> least we, migrated all or most of the tickets from bugzilla to JIRA,
>> because the users from the Mailing lists, gets notifications for changes in
>> the tickets.
>
> I think we should keep the discussion re bug tracker separate from the
> mailing list discussion.

+1

-Jirka

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
The email looks good to me.

--
Ludovic

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
The email looks good.  The end of an era for sure...but just the beginning of a new one.

Josh Juneau

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Fabrizio Giudici <Fa...@tidalwave.it>.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:17:47 +0100, Delfi Ramirez
<de...@delfiramirez.info> wrote:

> +1

+1

--