Posted to dev@oltu.apache.org by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com> on 2012/04/12 14:46:41 UTC

IP Clearance for Apache Amber

Hello,

I'd need some advice regarding some issue we have with Apache Amber.
The project has been on incubator fro a while and we would like to try to graduate.
Problem is we have been stuck with a legal issue.
The problem is more or less the follow (this is the short version):

An OAuth 2.0 project, LeeLoo, was being developed by Newcastle Uni.  We invited them to join the Amber project with their code.
That code was committed to the repo before a grant was provided by Newcastle Uni, whose copyright is on the code.

In order to better explain the overall situation in details I have dug a bit in the mailing list in order to provide a timeline of what has been happening.

10/10 First mention of Leeloo [0]
11/10 Introduction of Leeloo to Amber list [1]
11/10 Moving Leeloo code to Apache repository [2]
12/10 Maciej/Lukasz signed ICLA [3]
12/10 IP clearance for Leeloo contribution [4]
12/10 AMBER-11/AMBER-12 Leelo donation
07/11 IP clearance and first release [5]
09/11 Waiting from reply from the University [6]
01/12 ASF license and copyrights [7]

Now IANAL and I am kind of new in Apache but as long as I understand we are  stuck at the IP clearance:  http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/amber-leeloo.htm<http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/amber-leeloo.html>l

Am I correct? Is there any other thing we can do rather then rewrite the code from scratch ?

Thanks in Advance

Antonio

0] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201010.mbox/%3C4CA5A544.3040407%40pidster.com%3E
[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201011.mbox/%3CAANLkTi%3DEp6Df48aFZdB%2BmokAp6HO7-ncmoVdjELKnzwz%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201011.mbox/%3CAANLkTik3xt1H7nOaVGWPUSY9MrkKTPymffd%2BHT7r421A%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201012.mbox/%3CAANLkTikCGKnQkGj7wuHnFWoju%3DxbrO0%3DDMYWjkHfS%3DCK%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[4] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201012.mbox/%3CAANLkTikHhU9gQKAJPtVfXOTrWJQM-XiTkSkBhQpWJfiz%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[5] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCAPz8h_XGY5gpMCqVyBxYBJ%2Bg%3DuDCgj-VPttNoKyEb5H4K7JR1w%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[6] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201109.mbox/%3CCA%2Bc2x_U%3DdtA9UpzpsvbrtNVypcqXEvvq6O8TEGY5D_bLm7ZXRQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[7] http://mail-archives.apac<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-amber-dev/201201.mbox/%3C4938690A-22C7-4677-8361-735D9A7E939D%40yahoo.com%3E>

Re: IP Clearance for Apache Amber

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Sam,

thanks a lot for your answer.
So IIUC this is not a blocker for us to do the first release and try to graduate.
My last concerns is regarding the ASF license and copyright, see discussion in [0].
In a nutshell all the Oauth 2.0 Java classes of the project have the following copyright statement

/**
 *       Copyright 2010 Newcastle University
 *
 *          http://research.ncl.ac.uk/smart/
 *
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

see also [1] for an example.

Is this copyright statement in line with Apache rules/policies ? If not are we allowed to change?

TIA and regards

Antonio

[0] http://amber.markmail.org/message/km5awnddpvxbo2s7
[1] http://s.apache.org/HP7

On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:21 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

The timing is what it is.  If there still is a possibility of
obtaining a Software Grant, then that's the easiest path forward.
Otherwise, demonstrating that you have ICLAs from each of the authors
of this code and documenting that they confirm that they have the
rights to contribute this code is sufficient.

- Sam Ruby

clearance:  http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/amber-leeloo.html

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.