Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "J. David Eisenberg" <ca...@catcode.com> on 2004/10/27 23:29:47 UTC

HTML documentation in a .zip or .tgz file?

Derby looks quite nice; I may use it for doing examples in a database
class.  I'd love to have all of the HTML pages in one .zip or .tgz file,
though, so I can read documentation without having to be online.

If there is already such a thing, and I just overlooked the link, please
let me know, and pardon my clueless newbie-tude.

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/

Re: HTML documentation in a .zip or .tgz file?

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@sbcglobal.net>.
On Oct 27, 2004, at 2:29 PM, J. David Eisenberg wrote:

> I'd love to have all of the HTML pages in one .zip or .tgz file,
> though, so I can read documentation without having to be online.

There's no zip or tgz posted anywhere, but the manuals are what you see
on the website. If you have svn, you can get a copy of the website
with:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk/build

or you can use a utility such as wget to download the website to a
local copy:

wget -m -r -np http://incubator.apache.org/derby/

and always be careful with recursive web downloads. :)

andrew

Re: HTML documentation in a .zip or .tgz file?

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
J. David Eisenberg wrote:

>Derby looks quite nice; I may use it for doing examples in a database
>class.  I'd love to have all of the HTML pages in one .zip or .tgz file,
>though, so I can read documentation without having to be online.
>
>If there is already such a thing, and I just overlooked the link, please
>let me know, and pardon my clueless newbie-tude.

There isn't currently such a thing, but there are a couple options.

You can obtain a local copy by installing the subversion client and
checking out the source for the web site, like this:

    svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk

The manuals are under build/site/manuals.

Or, if there is sufficient interest, I could tar/zip up just the manuals
and put them out for download from the Derby site.

Finally, but this is only of interest in the long-term, there is a
discussion thread here that talks about possibly putting the docs into a
more flexible format:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=derby-dev@db.apache.org&by=subject&from=651389&to=651389&first=1&count=15

Your request would be a good thing to keep in mind for future work on
the docs.

 -jean