Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Doshi, Gunjan" <gu...@merck.com> on 2000/07/14 15:51:57 UTC

Tomcat Installation Help

		 Friends:
                         Greetings to all.
                         I tested Tomcat 3.1 on Windows NT. It works great.
                         But our developers use Windows 98 laptops with
JDK1.2.2. So I have been trying to get Tomcat 3.1 working on Windows 98. But
it is
                         getting very frustrating as I keep on getting
errors on startup.

                         This is NOT a out of environment space problem. I
have already fixed that.

                         Also I have my JAVA_HOME set to c:\JDK1.2.2 and
TOMCAT_HOME set to C:\jakarta-tomcat as per my machine setup. Also I have
                         the classpath set up to contain
c:\jdk1.2.2\lib\tools.jar

                         Details of the error:
                         1. I started Tomcat 3.1 using startup bat file

                         2. It starts another window. Gives the some
exception and shuts down the new window. I cannot record the exception as I
do not
                         know how to increase the window height to more that
50 lines and the exception goes to more than 50 lines. The exception is for
sure
                         related to XML as I see that org.apache.jasper
being mentioned

                         3. To record the exception, I edited the tomcat.bat
file to remove the start command in front of java and hence know the startup
                         process takes place in the same window.

                         4. Now I do not get the exceptionat startup. But my
JSPs do not work and I get the following exception:
                         Unhandled error! You might want to consider having
an error page to report such
                         errors more gracefully
                         java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
sun/tools/javac/Main
                         at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.ja
                         va:128)

                         at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled C
                         ode)

                         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)

                         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessar
                         y(JspServlet.java:149)

                         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspSer
                         vlet.java:161)

                         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:2
                         61)
                         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compile
                         d Code)

                         at

                         at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.ja
                         va, Compiled Code)

                         at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559
                         )

                         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnectio
                         n(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)

                         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.j
                         ava, Compiled Code)

                         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

                         Any help will be appreciated.

                         Best Regards

                         Gunjan

Re: Tomcat Installation Help

Posted by Matthew Lyons <ma...@trifast-systems.co.uk>.
>                          java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> sun/tools/javac/Main
Doesn't this usually mean tools.jar is missing from the classpath.
---
Matt Lyons
Trifast Systems Ltd

Re: Tomcat Installation Help

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.
> 4. Now I do not get the exceptionat startup. But my
> JSPs do not work and I get the following exception:
>                          Unhandled error! You might want to consider having
> an error page to report such
>                          errors more gracefully
>                          java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> sun/tools/javac/Main

That one is due to Tomcat not finding the tools.jar file
that contains the compiler needed to compile JSP code.
--
WBB - wbrogden@bga.com  Chief Scientist, LANWrights, Inc.
Java Programmer Certification information and mock exam